• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
I'm sure he meant that you shouldn't put food directly on treated lumber like you would with food grade tops. There are some nasty chemicals in treated wood that you really don't want in your food.

I have a question about my exhausts. Will threading the 8 holes in my lid with nipples create any chimney like effect (if that exists), or is it exactly the same as just having the holes bare.
I'm debating whether I should thread the holes with a pipe plug to close it off, or just install the nipples and use caps for cutoff...

I'm sure he meant that you shouldn't put food directly on treated lumber like you would with food grade tops. There are some nasty chemicals in treated wood that you really don't want in your food.

Well I guess I'm old enough to still have some common sense ... I have always used a cover of sorts on any outside surface be it a BarBQ pit, a picnic table or a concrete bench. It just erks me at times when everything we do someone has to come up with a reason not to do it. I guess this is the reason we have so damn many warning labels on everything.

Just use a little common sense in life and the stress factor of what will kill us will be a lot less.

hi im new here, need some advice. Ive bought a steel drum (32 inches high, 22 inches diameter). is this too short to convert to a UDS? Also, is it essential to have 24 inches between coal basket and grill grate? Thanks in advance

I have a question about my exhausts. Will threading the 8 holes in my lid with nipples create any chimney like effect (if that exists), or is it exactly the same as just having the holes bare.
I'm debating whether I should thread the holes with a pipe plug to close it off, or just install the nipples and use caps for cutoff...

Do it either way, no difference. Mine are flat.

hi im new here, need some advice. Ive bought a steel drum (32 inches high, 22 inches diameter). is this too short to convert to a UDS? Also, is it essential to have 24 inches between coal basket and grill grate? Thanks in advance

Not an expert but some where between 22 1/2 to 24 would be acceptable, just adjust the height off the bottom a small amount.

I use the refrigerator magnets from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-magnetic-hook-set-98502.html

Easy to use and you can hang your cooking implements from them.

Waited for the city inspector to make his routine 11:30am drive by and then completed the burn out today...hopefully build this weekend.

I'm starting another UDS build and picked up a couple cans of the Kleen Strip and it really works. I didnt want to do a burn out so I used it to strip the paint off and then I had one lid with the tan liner and it worked like a charm. I got most of the paint off the drums although the pics show some spots. 2 cans for 2 drums. Gonna finish the build next weekend.

P1010903.JPG

P1010908.JPG

P1010909.JPG

P1010905.JPG

P1010907.JPG

P1010912.JPG

P1010910.JPG

P1010913.JPG

P1010914.JPG

I picked up a can of Kleen-Strip to test on my dreaded red liner... I'll report and post pix when I do later this week. Glad to know this stuff works so well on the tan and exterior paint.

I'm starting another UDS build and picked up a couple cans of the Kleen Strip and it really works. I didnt want to do a burn out so I used it to strip the paint off and then I had one lid with the tan liner and it worked like a charm. I got most of the paint off the drums although the pics show some spots. 2 cans for 2 drums. Gonna finish the build next weekend.

P1010903.JPG

P1010908.JPG

P1010909.JPG

P1010905.JPG

P1010907.JPG

P1010912.JPG

P1010910.JPG

P1010913.JPG

P1010914.JPG

Hey, great! I'm glad somebody else tried it and had as much success as I had. I just wish you were able to test it on another liner (like the red).

I picked up a can of Kleen-Strip to test on my dreaded red liner... I'll report and post pix when I do later this week. Glad to know this stuff works so well on the tan and exterior paint.

Can't wait to see how well it works with the dreaded red. I wish you the best of luck!

So gave Kleen-Strip a try on my red liner. I just did a small section of the underside of my drum's lid for a test run.

Before:

1_zps222bc5a5.jpg

Gave it 15 minutes and tried scraping. I got a good amount around the edges, but the middle hardly had a dent in it.

2_zps7ecc9220.jpg

I gave it a second coat and really let it soak in. More red came off, but far from the results on paint.

3_zpseebad690.jpg

That's after 2 coats and scrapings, about 45 minutes total exposure time.

So my guess is that with more effort and many more coats, it could get the drum to bare metal. But at 8 bucks a can or so, I think I'd rather just haul the thing to the sand blaster. Next build I will *definitely* put the effort into finding a tan liner or bare drum. Will probably use up the rest of the can I bought to get as much of the outer paint off and maybe save myself a few bucks on the sandblasting.

Hey, it's a great product and I was excited to try. The farkin' red liner is just too strong!! :punch:

P1010908.JPG

Wow that was a lot of tabasco sauce!

76849_4189708214860_2006527942_n.jpg

The finished article...

"Thar she Smokes!!!"

Two barrel, lid conversion. Dual layer with bored out washing machine drum for grate. So far we've smoked several Chickens, two Butts, and a whole lot of Ribs.

Ribs are by far the winner - I've got them d-own... I'm holding a wallpapering brush which I find invaluable for applying the correct amount of sop !

Yeeee-haaaw

Looks good, I'd like to see a little more on how the second barrel fits on the first and what mods you had to do to the bottom barrel.

Thanks
Jim

This is my 30 gal that's been cleaned up with CLR to get the surface rust off the outside than buffed out and clear coat applied. With the crazyness of life right now it's gonna be a long build but I'm go an try to create a build thread for the mini's.
Anyone who has a 30 and has some input as to sizes and heights on everything please chime in or message me.
504BB1D1-5B66-454B-884D-3A843DB96A00-5586-00000AC34168752B.jpg

Back