• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoking wild Turkey breast, need sausage advice!

B

basspro05

Ok, my little brother "smoked" a wild turkey this morning and is on his way home to clean it. He is going to just breast the bird out.

I have a plan for smoking it this weekend, he is going to soak the blood out of it for a few days. I am going to brine it on saturday night. Inject with a little butter, season it, blanket it with bacon weave and smoke at 275 degrees until it hits 160 degrees, wrap it in foil and let sit for about 30 minutes or so and dig in.

Question is, my brother wants to smoke some sausage at the same time, is this doable? I have a UDS I will be cooking on.

If so what kind of sausage should I look for, how long should I smoke it, and what temps.

Thanks in advance.!

Absolutely. At 275 your pretty much open to whatever. A couple of fattys would be great, I pull fatties at IT 155°F. You could throw some brats, keilbasa, Italian on as well. My mouths watering over here now!

Excuse my ignorance but I am very new to smoking, this will be my 3rd smoke ever. What is a fatty? And is there a brand or type of sausage I should look for?

No worries there. A fatty is simply a "chub" of sausage such as Jimmy Dean, Odom's etc. You can smoke them nekkid(my fav), or stuff them. They b good! At the bottom of this page is a google search, just type in fatty and you will get a ton of hits.

^^^^Mother of God!!!!

Those things look amazing, never had a fatty before, but jeez that looks so good!

Back