Centex gettin' weird with the pig parts

Yeah. I'll post it for you. It was amazing. I got it from the book "Charcuterie: The craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. Awesome book. That's where the bacon came from too. Everything I've done out of that book has been the best thing I've ever had. Highly recommend the book.

Here is the ham:

American Style Brown Sugar Glazed Holiday Ham

The Brine:

1 gallon water
1-1/2 cups Kosher Salt
2 Packed cups dark brown sugar
1-1/2 ounces of pink salt (Sodium Nitrite)
One 12-15lb with skin and Aitch Bone removed

The Glaze:

1-1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
3/4 cups dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of mince Garlic

Recipe:

Combine all the brine ingredients in a container large enough to hold the ham. Stir to dissolve all the salt and sugar.
Submerge ham in the brine. Weight it down if necessary to keep it fully submerged for 6-8 days (half a day per lb)
Remove ham and rinse thoroughly under cool water. pat dry and place on rack and refrigerate for 12-24 hours to dry.
Smoke the ham at 200 for 2 hours (I used apple and it was awesome)
Meanwhile, mix the brown sugar, Dijon, and garlic in a bowl until smooth. Brush the ham and reserve the remainder.
Continue to smoke the ham at 200 until it reaches internal temp of 155 (4-5 more hours for me)
remove the ham and brush with remaining glaze.
Refrigerate or eat warm right off the pit. We reheated ours and it was unreal. best ham I've ever had and all 20 people that had it agreed. It was destroyed in minutes.

Enjoy

AWESOME.

I actually own that book & I knew there was a recipe in there for cured ham, but it's good to know it turned out for you.

I've got a whole green ham (both shank and butt portions) that I'll be curing.

Question: Where did you find pink salt? Did you have to order online?

Thanks again for posting this!

BY THE WAY.....
I'm assuming that since you're from TX and by your username that you may just work for Centex Homes? I used to work for Centex here in IN for several years. Just wonderin.

^^^That book is amazing - everything I've made out of there rocks. I gotta try that ham recipe. :thumb:

Seems to me home cured ham is better on a reheat rather than eating it right when it's done.

Food looks awesome. I am ordering that book today. Home made bacon is the way to go. Having some for breakfast.

I figure they don't mind that I post their recipes on the forum when 10 people buy it every time i do :)

You can get pink salt on line but I buy mine at Academy. I think most stores carry it if you have one in your area.If not, just search for it online and it will pop right up

Hmmmm there is something familiar about the honorific for wifey....can't quite place it...food looks so delish!

AWESOME.

I actually own that book & I knew there was a recipe in there for cured ham, but it's good to know it turned out for you.

I've got a whole green ham (both shank and butt portions) that I'll be curing.

Question: Where did you find pink salt? Did you have to order online?

Thanks again for posting this!

BY THE WAY.....
I'm assuming that since you're from TX and by your username that you may just work for Centex Homes? I used to work for Centex here in IN for several years. Just wonderin.

I live in Austin so that's where the name comes from (that, and a startling lack of creativity) :biggrin1:

Back