View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #45
tigerpaw
Knows what a fatty is.

As a judge I think this is what I was looking for when I first became one - how do I stack up in my opinions versus that of my table mates? Am I scoring a point or two high across the board? Am I scoring a point or two low across the board? It would have been helpful to know early on rather then having my scores be off kilter to those other judges at my table.

I would have liked to have seen my scores from my first say 10 events versus those at my table for comparison. Would have possibly sped me up to being in tune to other maybe more experienced judges.

As for comment cards - I like them as a judge. I feel I can at least tell a team why I gave them a score that may not be to that of the other judges for whatever reason it may be. This eliminates me from ever being referred to as Judge 6. I can point out that the rib I selected was overdone, my brisket burnt end was all gristle or fat, my chicken piece was mushy, my pork was tough and dry, whatever the reason MY selection may not have been the same as the other 5 judges and thus my marking down on your entry. I am NOT judge 6. You may be team 6 for putting a less then stellar piece of meat in the box and I unfortunately had the bad luck of getting it. I have also filled out a card for a perfect score and told them thanks for making this what it was for me to judge today. Yes my 9's told them I loved all aspects of it. But a note also to say thanks. And also sometimes a 8 or a 7 will get a card from me to just point out what they could have done to bring it to a high score. "Loved the tenderness and appearance. And love spice but this was a little bit more than needed for this entry. Took away from the meats taste".

So I hope the comment cards do come back as for right now these new scoring systems tell you that you got a 9 - 6 - 8 or a 8 - 6 - 5 but none of that tells you why.
tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->