I could use some fattie help please.

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Has anyone ever made stuffed fatties in advance, then wrapped and kept them in the freezer til needed?
Would I just thaw them and then smoke em?

Or would it be better to smoke the fatties in advance and freeze the smoked fatties?

Thank you for any advice!

Do it all the time! Works great!

I let them sit in the fridge for a day or two to thaw and then on they go...

If I have leftovers (yea, right) I slice and freeze them.

I can't believe that I got to give Cowgirl advice!!!! Gotta mark this day on my calendar!

lol I appreciate the help! (......and I need help more often that not. lol)

I have company coming for deer season and want to get some things ready before they get here.

Any other make-in-advance ideas?

I'll need to make breakfasts, lunches and dinners for about 5 days.

After seeing your Canadian bacon thread...I can't imagine you need any help with breakfast ideas girly!!!

side note: when I saw this thread it was on the main page and couldn't tell who started it. My first though after seeing the title is, "Go ask Cowgirl".
Hmmmm guess that won’t work.

Any other make-in-advance ideas?

I'll need to make breakfasts, lunches and dinners for about 5 days.

There are tons of things you can prepare and then freeze… I know that you don’t have a Cryo-Sucker, but for the short term, you could use a Ziploc type bag but try and get as much air out before freezing.

ABT’s:
I normally prepare up to 30 dozen ABT’s at a shot and then freeze them. Now mine are normally used as appetizers so I quarter the peppers so they are only a single bite (ok, sometimes two bites). The key is to wrap them length wise with a half slice of bacon so it seals in the cream cheese mix (cream cheese & ground pepperoni). Also make sure that the beginning and end of the bacon overlap under the pepper so you don’t have to pin them with a toothpick. I then put them on a baking sheet and freeze them. Once frozen, I cryo-suck them in packages of 1 and 2 dozen. To cook them, I put them (still frozen) on a pizza pan (you know, the one with holes to let the grease drain) and put them (still frozen) on the cooker… They take a couple of minutes longer but seem to hold their shape better.

MOIK Balls:
Same rules as above; wrap each meat ball with a half slice of bacon, season with your favorite rub and freeze them on a sheet pan then cryo-suck them. For cooking follow the same rules for cooking the ABT’s

Smoked Chili:
I always have smoked chuck roast in my freezer; it’s one of my ‘Go-To’ meats. Cube the previously smoked beef (or dear) roast and add it to the remaining ingredients for your favorite chili in a dutch oven. I then put the dutch oven on my BGE and smoke it for 3 to 4 hours at 250*. You get a hint of the smoke and a fresh pot of chili all in one!

Fatties:
If you are worried about time, cook the fatties before hand and freeze them already sliced. Cook the fattie and chill it in the fridge, then slice it, cryo-suck it in a single layer, and freeze it. Let them thaw over night and then fry them like a sausage patty. My family likes the ones either stuffed with sautéed onions, garlic, and cheddar cheese or Feta, Calmata (sp?) Olives, garlic, marinated bell peppers and spinach. The other thing you can do is a plain fattie for Biscuits and Gravy but know that you are going to have to cube it because it’s not going to crumble.

Pre-Smoked Pork Butt:
Pork butt freezes far better than almost any other cooked meat. If I recall one of the guys made ‘Pulled Pork Sliders’ by heating up the pork, loading the sandwiches, wrapping them (as a group) in plastic wrap, and them keeping them in a pre-heated cooler.

That’s just a few, if I think of any thing else, I let you know!

(This is SUCH a banner day!!!!!!)

I just thought of anther one…

Enchilada’s…
I’ve made up half hotel pans of them and frozen them (with out the sauce). When you are ready, thaw them over night (or longer) in the fridge, add your sauce, some shredded cheese, and bake in a 350* oven for like a half hour to 45 minutes (you want the cheese melted). This is another one where the smoked chuck roast comes in handy but you can also use some chicken dark meat.

PM me if you want me to send you BrisketBob’s secret chili sauce recipe. I like it because I can it in mason jars and keep it on the shelf. Oh, and I’ll talk to Bob about giving you the recipe or you can just bat those lovely eyes at him and watch him melt like I do.

I freeze them first and most of the time I don't even wait for them to thaw before throwing them on the smoker. Still good to me.

Wow... Great ideas!! Thank you so much!!

I have the chipotle/garlic pulled pork in the freezer. I bet I could make sandwiches or enchiladas or chili with that!

Thursday, I'll be making Thanksgiving dinner and cooking a pig on Saturday, so those days I need something for breakfasts and snacks. Frozen moinks and abts would be wonderful!! Save me a lot of time and extra work.
That leaves meals for Tuesday, Wednesday, breakfast Thursday, Friday, breakfast Saturday, and Sunday.

Sledneck I have one of those little hand held vacuum sealers. :-D

Breakfasts are always the hardest for me.... we seem to stay up way too late visiting and getting up early to cook breakfast is a challenge. :shock::biggrin:

I'll make a few fatties, slice and freeze them. Thank you so much!

I do owe ya Jeff. :wink:
I'd love to have Bob's recipe if he's willing to share.

I freeze them first and most of the time I don't even wait for them to thaw before throwing them on the smoker. Still good to me.

Rich that's good to know.. It would save lots of time. Thanks!

Jeff, what's a MOIK ball? :)
Jeanie, have fun with your guests. Hope you get a good deer harvest!

I've frozen stuffed fatties before, then thawed and smoked...but it seems they tend to fall apart easier and don't hold together well on the smoker...anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

I've frozen stuffed fatties before, then thawed and smoked...but it seems they tend to fall apart easier and don't hold together well on the smoker...anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
How do you package them for the freezer? I roll mine in plastic wrap and then tie knots in the ends right up against the meat. I mean I spin the end so it is really making it tight and then an over hand knot.

Been doing this for years and never had a problem...

Ok, let’s see what I can come up with… As I see it, you need six breakfasts, four lunches, and four dinners… I want to note now that I have not included any of that green stuff unless it pertained to the theme of the meal…

Tuesday
Breakfast
Canadian Bacon, Hash Browns, Scrambled Eggs, Toast

Lunch
Smoked Bologna sandwiches

Dinner
Chili

Wednesday
Breakfast
Sliced Stuffed Fatties on Biscuits
I’m thinking the tube type of biscuits so you don’t have to get up so early and you can warm the stuffed fatties in the microwave.

Lunch
Pulled Pork Sliders

Dinner
Chicken Enchilada’s with a Mexican Side Salad
(Did I just say 'Salad'?!?!? Now I have to wash my mouth out!)

Thursday
Breakfast
Biscuits and Gravy
I’m thinking that you are going to want something a little hearty to carry them over to your turkey dinner.

Supper
Turkey with all the fixings

Friday
Breakfast
Fried Fattie, Hash Browns, Eggs, Toast
I would go with either plane or a different stuffing on the fattie (just to show off a bit).

Lunch
Chili and Turkey Sandwiches

Dinner
Home grown Shrimp Stir Fry
This is another one that you can prepare all of the vegetables up to a week before and just have them ‘magically appear’

Saturday
Breakfast
Breakfast Burrito’s
I would have all of the vegetables already diced up way ahead of time. I would also pre-fry the bacon crispy so that it to could be included in the burrito rather than on the side. If you do it right, all you have to do is scramble the eggs.

Supper
Roast Pig with all the fixings
(and I’m waiting for my invite!)

Sunday
Back to the Sliced Stuffed Fatties on Biscuits.
The reason I’m repeating this one is that if your guests want/need to get on the road early, this is something they can take with them.

Lunch
Homemade Hot and Cold Sandwiches.
This would include more of your smoked Bologna, Cold Smoked Cheese, salami, left over hot turkey (open face with gravy is my favorite), and hot pulled pork.

Dinner
You’re on your own… I’m running out of ideas

Back