• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Harbor Frieght

FYI, Harbor Freight must really want us to build these right now. They have weed burners on sale for 14.99 and a 2 piece step drill bit set for 14.99.

Wiped out...

mine came off no problem. wiped it out relatively quickly too.

So is the grinding and sanding just to get the leftover paint and whatever off? Sounds like after the burn you just wiped it out. What is all the talk of the wire brush and sanding?

1787_jab.gif

building my SS UDS

Getting real close to starting the build.

What is the consensus on supports for the grates?? Three or four?? I'm planning on doing two grates in my tin can. Can't find a cheapie domed lid so I will probably order a SS domed lid over the i-net.

Thanks,

Paul B
YES, I have read the whole thread!!

Use 3 so it will sit level on all supports. If you use 4 and one is off a little it won't sit right.

Good luck! Hope you have more than one drum cause once you get started you'll want to build another and your buddies will want one too.

FYI, Harbor Freight must really want us to build these right now. They have weed burners on sale for 14.99 and a 2 piece step drill bit set for 14.99.
I just ordered mine and yeah they got me for the step drills also.
Always a sucker for a good deal

Paul B, I would use 4. It is more stable and no big deal getting them all level. With 3, and shaking the drum to knock ash off, 3 will make it easier for the grate to fall off the supports. Just my thought bro.

Heres my contribution to the almighty UDS thread- just finished it , had first smoke today andthis weekend will be smoking ribs and a fat fatty :p

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,079
Nice! Man there are some good lookin drums in this thread. Gonna start my next one soon.

I am toying with the idea for a winter time build using a 26.5 inch weber grate and getting some stainless rolled for me to make two drums. Not sure, but I think it can be done...

I am toying with the idea for a winter time build using a 26.5 inch weber grate and getting some stainless rolled for me to make two drums. Not sure, but I think it can be done...
First Weber won't sell the 26.5 to you unless you have a 26.5" kettle registered with them. Next they are quality stainless and should be for @ $86 apiece. If you want a large drum buy a 85 gallon salvage drum and some 24.5" "which Webers are close in size anyway" from Sportsmansguide for @$12 each. Just my opinion.

First Weber won't sell the 26.5 to you unless you have a 26.5" kettle registered with them. Next they are quality stainless and should be for @ $86 apiece. If you want a large drum buy a 85 gallon salvage drum and some 24.5" "which Webers are close in size anyway" from Sportsmansguide for @$12 each. Just my opinion.

Not entirely so...

You can get Weber 26.5" REPLACEMENT grates that are chrome plated no problemo, I know because I have two for my 85 gallon drum.
But the stainless steel ones have the the flip up sides and I did detect some trepidation in the tone of the Weber CS person when I inquired about the price of those.

I called for Mista's drum and got told the above. I guess it is like a gov't office, depends on the person answering.

Getting real close to starting the build.

What is the consensus on supports for the grates?? Three or four?? I'm planning on doing two grates in my tin can. Can't find a cheapie domed lid so I will probably order a SS domed lid over the i-net.

Thanks,

Paul B
YES, I have read the whole thread!!

I use three U bolts and it is solid.

Back