Newbie Question

JBI

Reaction score
Can a person trim/debone chicken at home prior to having it inspected at an event?

Thanks much for the help.

Joel

Trim all ya want. Just don't brine,inject,or season.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBI
yes it will save u a ton of time at a comp. You might bring original label it came in to be safe with health inspectors if they are at the contest.

• Thanks
Sure can. In fact, you can trim and prep all of your meat you just can't season/inject/marinate it.

As to the point of bringing the label, I normally don't. With my chicken, I'm picking up enough chicken for 4 comps at a shot, so it's trimmed, cryo-sucked, and frozen up to a month or so in advance. The label wouldn't tell them much.

Sure can. In fact, you can trim and prep all of your meat you just can't season/inject/marinate it.

As to the point of bringing the label, I normally don't. With my chicken, I'm picking up enough chicken for 4 comps at a shot, so it's trimmed, cryo-sucked, and frozen up to a month or so in advance. The label wouldn't tell them much.

Great advice. Can prep it all at once then just take out what you need for each event!! Thanks much for the response.

Joel

Yep - I do it for every comp. Like everyone else is saying, its a great time saver.

you can also premix your injections, sauces, rubs at home and bring them to the contest in clearly marked containers, less to clean up and gives you more free time to have fun. GOOD LUCK :-D

Great advice. Can prep it all at once then just take out what you need for each event!! Thanks much for the response.

Joel

• Thanks
Back