My blackstone won't get hot

rw02kr43

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone else had this issue? I had it on high for about an hour last night and the surface never got hot enough to even pop any oil. This was only my second time using it. Outside temp was around 70 and little wind.

Jason

If it's lit, but low flame no matter what the setting, sounds like the propane regulator/safety needs to be reset. Turn the BS off and close the propane valve tank. Disconnect the propane hose from the propane tank and wait about 30 seconds. Reconnect the propane hose. Slowly turn open the tank valve. Now go ahead and fire up the BS. In the future, make sure your turn off the valves on the BS first, then close the propane valve tank. If the BS valves are "on" when you open the propane tank valve, it will trip the safety. Here's a video on the procedure. https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...me&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_z4u3YJ20KNPZ-gSC34m4Bw57

^^^ this

I had this problem with my 22” two burner model connected to a regular 20lb propane tank. Once I took the advice above and slowly opened my tank I never had an issue again.

Mmmm...I've had issues in the past with gas cookers that didn't get to temp as expected. Could be one of the safety features of the propane system trying to "help" you.

Might want to try turning the cooker off, unhooking the propane bottle for a minute, then re-attach the propane, and then opening the valve from the bottle slowly. Then re-try to fire it up.

Good luck!
Bruce

If it's lit, but low flame no matter what the setting, sounds like the propane regulator/safety needs to be reset. Turn the BS off and close the propane valve tank. Disconnect the propane hose from the propane tank and wait about 30 seconds. Reconnect the propane hose. Slowly turn open the tank valve. Now go ahead and fire up the BS. In the future, make sure your turn off the valves on the BS first, then close the propane valve tank. If the BS valves are "on" when you open the propane tank valve, it will trip the safety. Here's a video on the procedure. https://www.google.com/search?q=pro...me&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_z4u3YJ20KNPZ-gSC34m4Bw57

Mmmm...I've had issues in the past with gas cookers that didn't get to temp as expected. Could be one of the safety features of the propane system trying to "help" you.

Might want to try turning the cooker off, unhooking the propane bottle for a minute, then re-attach the propane, and then opening the valve from the bottle slowly. Then re-try to fire it up.

Good luck!
Bruce
:thumb:

I had the same problem with my Blackstone pizza oven. This worked fine!

You don't have to disconnect. Turn off the BS, then the tank valve. Bang the tank down on a hard object. Then Slowly open the tank and then the BS. This should dislocate the safety check ball in the tank valve. Repeat harder if necessary.

I called customer service on this a while back.

According to customer service, the regulator has a "safety mechanism" in it. When that mechanism gets tripped, the regulator limits the amount of fuel it will let go to the burners. The 20lb tank can cause it to trip.

Customer service's suggestion.

Take tank, adapter hose, regulator, griddle, all apart and leave sit for 1 minute - the regulator will reset.

Re-attach in this order.

tank to adapter hose -> adapter hose to regulator -> regulator to griddle.

Then, open the tank SLOWLY. If opened quickly it will trip regulator.
Then light the griddle.

Worked for me. After a few minutes, my griddle temperature was around 550º

I had the same problem with my weed burner, the propane supply hose was too long and it would trip the safety. To counter this I pinch the supply line in half a coupla feet from the regulator and then turn the valve on before releasing the pinch. Works every time.

Thanks everyone. I took it apart and restarted it last night and it got hot. It seems to be very temperamental. I also now have an empty tank of gas.

Jason

Glad it's working again Jason!

Sometimes helps to start slowly and to not turn the valve on the propane to be all the way open.

Bruce

Sometimes helps to start slowly and to not turn the valve on the propane to be all the way open.
Was taught in welding class (30 years ago) not to completely open valves on tanks.
That way if something goes wrong you're not having to spin the valve a bunch of revolutions to close it. Only crack the valve.

Did you look at the flames? Could somethign be blocking the gas flow? Spider webs?

While the regulator is the most likely culprit I have run into this problem as well, used an air compressor to clean out the hose and it worked well after that.

Cobwebs can be a problem.Just sayin.Check for those too.Especially if it has been a while since you used it last.

Is anyone cheaper than Sam's for refills?
$14.97

Any farm supply or truck stop near you will fill them much cheaper than an exchange.You will actually get the pounds the bottle holds.Most exchanges only give you 15 pounds in a 20 pound canister.There may be exceptions but that is the norm.

Back