Getting SKD to Comp+stupid questions

bbqneo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am going to sign up to enter my first competition. The Red, White & BBQ in Westmont, IL- about 30 min from my house. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on transporting my Smoke King Deluxe to and from there or about setting up and tearing down in general? I will have to rent a trailer to tow behind my van. Any benefits to a covered v. open trailer?? (Have seen an open u-haul in the pics section)
Also, what do you do with the hot ash/embers at the end??

I rented from UHaul last year for three contests ..

1) A closed 5 x 8, 2) an open 6 x 12, 3) the smallest box truck....

Closed 5 x 8 - only bad part was not having a ramp on that size from U haul

Open 6 x 12 - the ramp was good, and was great being able to keep my pit on the platform when cooking on the contest site.. the bad part was the low side rails..needing to bungee cord everything and then a plastic tarp over it (rain that weekend !!!)... Had to drive 200 miles to the contest with the wind whipping up under the tarp and tearing it to shreds

Smallest Box Truck - cost me $400 as I had to pay per mile... No ramp.. difficult to load, too high off the ground. lots of space...

Those three experiences gave me all I needed to make up my mind that I wanted my opwn trailer for the convenience of not needing to deal with a rental the day before and after a contest...

Bought my own trailer this year... 5 x 8 enclosed Haulmark trailer with ramp... I can fit everything I need in it.. Would have went slightly bigger but my driveway is not wide enough and I can't back up a trailer for chit !!!.

As for ash - most contests have a receptacle to carry them over... Buy a small ash can from a fireplace store or Home Depot etc...

Echo what Vinny said.

Personally, I'd go the enclosed route. We use a horse trailer right now - my fully enclosed is a little small. The horse trailer is .... plenty big.

Also, you may want to seriously consider going the WSM route to supplement that SKD. Or, crazy as it sounds, buy 2 new WSM and just pack em IN your van and leave the sKD at home. Lotsa options.

Is there any advantage to leaving the smoker on an open trailer for cooking at the comp? At this point I want to use the SKD - what I'm used to and trailers reasonable for weekend rental. Dumb question 2: take the cooking grates out and in a box for transport, or just put at bottom of cooker??

Echo what Vinny said.

Personally, I'd go the enclosed route. We use a horse trailer right now - my fully enclosed is a little small. The horse trailer is .... plenty big.

Also, you may want to seriously consider going the WSM route to supplement that SKD. Or, crazy as it sounds, buy 2 new WSM and just pack em IN your van and leave the sKD at home. Lotsa options.

I saw a guy at a comp last year and all he used were WSMs. Looked neat seeing them all arouind his camp.

I saw a guy at a comp last year and all he used were WSMs. Looked neat seeing them all arouind his camp.
Outside of my barrel, my team has all WSM's. Need to grill? Just take out the middle section.

As far as the trailer goes, if you have the open, you don't have to unload your pit. Less work for you.

Outside of my barrel, my team has all WSM's. Need to grill? Just take out the middle section.

As far as the trailer goes, if you have the open, you don't have to unload your pit. Less work for you.

I have heard of things going tragically wrong while cooking with a portable pit on a standard flat bed traily that was not 'prepped' for the purpose.

Plus, I generally do not see the advantage to it other than saving 5 minutes and a possible strained back. The SKD or Bandera are easily maneuvered by two half sober guys. OTOH, I would be apt to fall of a trailer, sober or not.

Is there any advantage to leaving the smoker on an open trailer for cooking at the comp? At this point I want to use the SKD - what I'm used to and trailers reasonable for weekend rental. Dumb question 2: take the cooking grates out and in a box for transport, or just put at bottom of cooker??

Advantage if you go this route is : no need to load and unload at the site and keeps the public at bay if the contest will have lots of foot traffic or nosey people.

Grates can be at bottom of cooker or exactly where they are now... They are made of steel so nothing is gonna break...

How many bandera/BSKD owners use them in competitions?? Or, have most users moved on to other pits??

We use 2 banderas, and are adding the WSM. I would say MOST have moved on to other pits. Too much darn work. In my are, almost nobody uses a bander/ skd.

Since MrSmoker UPGRADED BIG TIME to his spicewines, I am not sure I will see another Bander SKD out there.

How many bandera/BSKD owners use them in competitions?? Or, have most users moved on to other pits??

Dave (Chad) and I used my Studedera and WSM's for a couple of seasons,
Worked fine--just lots of work, but fun.
He bought Kingfisher--lots of work, but fun.
I bought FEC100--time will tell.

Start with what ya have and know.
Go have a good time.
See what you like and don't.
Stay with what you have or upgrade as you see fit.

Ain't no hurry--

TIM

Now granted I have not actually been in a competition. But, my thinking is at a competition I can cat nap and play with the smoker overnight. I would rather have a wsm or set it and forget it type for at home to cook overnight for family gatherings/parties where I need to be up with the kids early.

Now granted I have not actually been in a competition. But, my thinking is at a competition I can cat nap and play with the smoker overnight. I would rather have a wsm or set it and forget it type for at home to cook overnight for family gatherings/parties where I need to be up with the kids early.

Cat naps work.
You will be running on adrenaline anyway for your first few comps! :lol:
Playing with the smoker is nice.

Looking at your second sentence--it is really nice to be awake and alert at comps when you are doing the "finicky" things like ribs, chicken, box prep, and final presentation for $$$$$$$. :lol:
Getting some quality sleep is probably the major advantage given by the more sophisticated or care free cookers like the WSM and all.
It is nice to to be alert on presentation day.

FWIW

TIM

Would a BBQ Guru installed on my BSKD allow for a hassle free burn long enough for sleep??

Would a BBQ Guru installed on my BSKD allow for a hassle free burn long enough for sleep??
I think that a good charcoal basket will do that.
or at least I am hoping that it will, I just bought a SKD for that reason.
hell the BKSD is a step up from the Chargrillers.
I did score a good drum drum today for my very own UDS!

I use a BSKD, and they are notoriously leaky, regarding air flow regulation. The GURU uses air regulation, and only air regulation to control fire temps. I think you would realize more consistent control from a charcoal basket and sealing up the air leaks. Adding thermal mass (fire bricks) has helped me with temp control. Just my thoughts. YMMV.

I think that a good charcoal basket will do that.
or at least I am hoping that it will, I just bought a SKD for that reason.
hell the BKSD is a step up from the Chargrillers.
I did score a good drum drum today for my very own UDS!

Just my opinion again, I should shut up, but what the heck. I bought a BSKD as I considered it a step up from a Chargriller, which is what I had. I have found that both cookers have their place. Different animals for sure, and have to be fed and nurtured differently. I still use both for different cooks. Sometimes I have both going at the same time. The mods mentioned on this forum will put you many steps ahead in the learning curve.

That having been said, I'm a stick burner. I enjoy tending the fire. If you want a set it and forget it charcoal burner neither of these fine machines is the best choice, but both are capable of getting to that point. I'm rambling now. Just my thoughts.

Back