Leg of lamb...any pointers

D

drumfreak

Whats up everybody? I am thinking about cooking a leg of lamb in my WSM next weekend. Was wondering if anybody had any advice....bone-in or bone out...general cooking times..type of wood that goes well with lamb etc. I am thinking about rubbing it down with Thunder Paste from Smoke n Spice. If I use the bone in leg i was thinking about drilling a whole in the ankle portion of the bone and having it hang in my smoker. Let me know what you think.

I cook lamb a lot..whole lamb, lamb chops, leg of lamb, rack of lamb..you name it
I personally dont like to slow cook lamb..would rather grill it on the kettle or do whole lamb on the rotisserie over a bed of coals..so i would boost the heat on the WSM if it was me
I coat with a good Greek olive oil, then season with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic powder, and oregano..
sometimes simplest is best
you can also take a boneless leg of lamb and tak eit out of the netting and cook it butterflied..

BIll M-
I can cook it on the kettle. Was thinking it would come out better on the smoker though. I appreciate the advice. How long do you cook per pound? What grill temp should I be going for? How about internal meat temp?

I'm doing leg of lamb for Easter... I'm boning it and stuffing with an olive tapenade and trussing it, then cooking to 120, searing, then letting it sit in a cooler for a bit.

I love lamb, heck 50,000 coyotes can't be wrong! I'm thinking of doing this for Easter.

Here is my newest favorite shoulder recipe and was given to me by DobieDad, one of my cookin' buddies. A full set of DD's pictures & some comments are on my blog, but here is the recipe and three pictures from my last cook. It is a stuffed shoulder that is seared and then roasted.

652666b6.jpg

For starters select a lamb shoulder, remove the bone and trim any large veins of fat.​

The stuffing is very simple. Place the following ingredients into your food processor and pulse until you have a chunky paste. Slather the stuffing on the inside of the lamb roast and tie it up.

1 cup Parsley
4-5 cloves garlic
1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil – drained
2 tablespoons of capers - salt rinsed off
1 small can of anchovies - remove most of the oil.

Sear the roast (I used a pan sear, DobieDad recommended a flame sear)Following the sear, coat the outside of the seared lamb shoulder roast with the following mixture then move to your cooker which is set-up for roasting, around 350°.

1 cup Dijon mustard
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon each of dried rosemary, thyme and oregano, crushed using a mortar and pestle

Here it is, seared and half smeared.

a92fb3e2.jpg

Monitor the internal temperature until it is a few degrees below your threshold of doneness. Remove and rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

Here is how the last one I did looked

da2ce708.jpg

drumfreak said:
BIll M-
I can cook it on the kettle. Was thinking it would come out better on the smoker though. I appreciate the advice. How long do you cook per pound? What grill temp should I be going for? How about internal meat temp?

meat temp 145 or so for medium- medium rare ..i cook in the 300-350 range
not saying you CANT smoke it..grilling is just my preference..lots of people like it smoked

The best recipe for lamb or mutton is this:
Set oven at three fifty. Fire up smoker.
Rub lamb with olive oil and poke cloves of garlic as deep as you can into the meat. Place in pan with one bottle of Samichlaus poured in bottom. Cover with foil and bake for one hour.
In the meantime retrieve two nice ribeye steaks from refrigerator.
Remove lamb from oven, and liberally rub with mint jelly, and place in smoker.
Prepare a nice salad.
After three hours in smoker, fire up webber kettle.
When coals are ready, sit down and eat salad.
When salad has been finished, remove lamb from smoker to cool.
Place 2 ribeyes on grill and cook to desired temperature.
Place ribeyes on nice plates.
Sit down with best friend, lover etc. and enjoy ribeyes with a nice bottle of wine.
When both wine and ribeyes have been consumed, walk plates and lamb into kitchen.
Place scraps from steak into kitchen trash can and cover generously with lamb.

bbqjoe said:
Rub lamb with olive oil and poke cloves of garlic as deep as you can into the meat. Place in pan with one bottle of Samichlaus poured in bottom. Cover with foil and bake for one hour.
Prepare a nice salad.
Sit down with best friend, lover etc. and enjoy ribeyes with a nice bottle of wine.
When both wine and ribeyes have been consumed, walk plates and lamb into kitchen.

sounds like you have eaten more mutton than lamb..lamb (not mutton) prepared right will taste just as good if not better than any ribeye..but then again if ya dont like lamb ya dont like lamb

Holy cow! We're 8 posts into thsi thread and no one has suggested diggin a hole in the back yard and tossing the lamb into it! :shock:

I've never tried leg o lamb on the kettle or WSM, but here is a link to a recipe for boneless leg of lamb with a garlic sauce form the virtual bullet site. It sounds and looks great!

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/lamb1.html

Ron_L said:
Holy cow! We're 8 posts into thsi thread and no one has suggested diggin a hole in the back yard and tossing the lamb into it! :shock:

I've never tried leg o lamb on the kettle or WSM, but here is a link to a recipe for boneless leg of lamb with a garlic sauce form the virtual bullet site. It sounds and looks great!

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/lamb1.html

I have a full size rotiserrie and grill to accomodate a whole lamb so I dont need a hole in the ground
although my relatives in Greece probably still do it that way

Mention Mayo and set Richard off. :twisted:

no matter what you do to the outside,bark, etc... you can indirect it on the Weber Kettle for a bout 12-13 minutes a pound... crispy outside, red inside :mrgreen: when the temps get up to 125 ish, I put mint jelly all over the leg....let it melt .. when it gets to 130ish grated parmeasan cheese goes on.. let sit for 20 minutes, slice...

bbqjoe said:
Prepare a nice salad.

<bustin' out laughing>

I like lamb but I know those who hate it REALLY hate it. I was starting to get the idea you were one of the latter, then the last sentence...LMAO!

I happen to love lamb. The only problem is that my wife claims it smells like ass when it is cooking. I don't see
(or smell) her point of view.

smokeeater said:
I happen to love lamb. The only problem is that my wife claims it smells like ass when it is cooking. I don't see
(or smell) her point of view.

then it would be donkey meat..where you buying your lamb meat at?? :p

I only spit roast them whole:

One of my neighbors thought it was a dog!!!

I can eat almost anything. But if it tastes like a wet dog smells, or tastes like your best sweater, I gotta pass.
The first time my Mom fixed beef liver,(probably about four or five years old) I had to get up from the table and search for my pet Beagle. I was sure she was feeding it to me.
Seriously, I don't care at all for the taste of sheep in any form. But I did learn a little from a South African friend of mine. And I will do this once in a very great while.
I'll take some leftover meats, pot roast maybe, a steak that came in a three pack when there is only two of us... whatever.
Chunking all this up with just a very small lamb chop or steak.
Then it all gets browned in a Potjie pot. Pronounced "Porkie" (Photo below)
Veggies like squash and onions and peppers are added, with a half a bottle of wine or some beer. And allowed to just sit and simmer for hours.
The beauty of the Potjie is that even though there are recipes, the sky is the limit. The only rule is that it has to be cooked slowly, very slowly, over a small amount of wood coals.
This is a fun alternative to BBQ. You can sit around the pot and drink your beers and enjoy the anticipation.
potjiepot2.jpg

Back