1st Catering event a success

Elkhound

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just completed my first catering event. It was a charity event at work for aprox. 400 people. Cooked 128 lbs. of butts on the Bandera. It took about 20hrs with 32lbs each on 4 shelves. Couldn't keep the temp up high enough to go any faster but it turned out great!! Will post picks later. I heard lots of moans and groans about no brisket and what is pulled pork? as these Texans were going through the serving line, but when it was over there were nothing but smiles and compliments. Also booked 5 other gigs before I left. Thanks to the bretheren for all the tips.

Congratulations. It sure took some ballls to serve pork to those beef lovin Texans. I'm glad they liked it.

Trout_man22 said:
Nice job, Congrats. Pork in Texas? Is that a hanging crime?

Uh, no. Plenty of pork here, just not as prevalent as beef. I had a hard time finding a decent pork loin here when I first moved down, but they have gotten a lot bettter. HEB Marketplace has some really nice ones and they go on sale for $2.89/lb every once in awhile.

I volunteered to smoke a couple of turkeys for our thanksgiving diner at work and almost everyone wanted pulled pork instead. A month ago these people didn't even know what pulled pork was. Now that they have been educated or ruined which ever way you want to look at it, there is no turning back.

Pulled pork is one fine direction to go. But I do like my Brisket also, and who can forget about Ribs with just a fine tuned smoke and a wonderful glaze BBQ sauce. Oh the smell and taste. Gotta have chicken too.

smoked prime rib with a burgandy wine aujus. oh what a feeling!

Congrats on the catering job!!!!!!
Try smoking some Beef Chuck roasts for those TX boys. I love that beef and it makes the BEST pulled beef ever. Just did 30 lbs. for a little party and they ate it before they ate the pulled pork.

Nice work, Rick! I keep telling the wife I need a bigger cooker so I can cater. She's not buying it (my BS or the cooker).

ShoHn,
Don't ask your wife. Just go buy the one you want and make sure it is big enough to sleep in.
PARTY!!!!!!!!

Congrats, but with your success, comes the need for a bigger smoker!

Way to go!!You've spoiled em' now.Welcome to your new side job:grin:.

Willy T.

nmayeux said:
Congrats, but with your success, comes the need for a bigger smoker!

Yep Klose is just down the road. So far I have resisted the temptation of driving over there and seeing what he has. I know if I go I will want to buy and right now thats not in the budget.

As a native Texan, I can say that we love our brisket. Although, I do really, really enjoy smoked pig also. My wife (who is from Alabama) doesn't really like brisket that much, so when I smoke meat, it is 80% pork and 20% brisket. Also, I haven't found that many 'Q' places in 'bama that sell good brisket. Sometimes I'll order it, but I am hardly ever satisfied. So, when I'm getting a craving for brisket, I'll make it myself.

Good job on the catering job. Sounds like you're on your way to becoming a 'professional'.

Jalapeno

Back