Still amazed after all these years of kettle cooking.

Grain Belt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Last night I smoked up three chuckies (thank you again PattioDaddio for the technique) with some pecan on my trusty old Weber Mastertouch Kettle. The pulled beef will be for my son's b-day party on Saturday. I still amazed at what an incredible cooking machine the humble kettle is after over 20 years cooking on them.

My dad and I have fixed up over 10 Weber kettles over the years and have placed them at various homes, cabins, and hunting shacks throughout the upper midwest for friends and family.

I also have a Smokey Joe Platinum that I use for tailgaiting and vacation cooking if a full size kettle is not available.

Today I was reflecting on all the great occasions I have been to with food cooked on a Weber kettle. Also there has been the great feeling of getting a kettle to a buddy and helping them learn how to cook on them and then they go out and spread the love.

I couldn't agree more!

I started out with an old used weber many years ago. Made mediocre Q so I thought must be the cooker not the cook. So after many years and grills guess what I've gone back to...my kettle. Found out it was the cook and not the cooker that was turning out the so so Q. After finding this place my kettle cooking has improved 100% and I now find myself using the weber more than anything else.

Wish I could say I've got it mastered but still some ways to go.

Kettles are rather amazing. So simple and versatile.

...And just think...it all started out of an old buoy!!!

You're right...they are the most versatile cooking aparatus that I can think of. I use mine for just about every thing when I'm just cooking for the family!

Indeed. Although I have what is virtually a WSM too (Performer+Cajun Bandit) I find myself doing at least 90% of my cooks on the OTS.

Kettles RAWK!!!:rockon: They are some mean grillin and smokin machines. I for one use my Kettle more than all my other grills and pits combined!

Bob

I usually have good luck with my kettle, but I am not sure why when I have all the vents open and the top vent open all the way the coals go from glowing red to basically put out.

I spent many years thinking that the design could never be that great of a cooker. It was like I had some grudge against kettles or something - I had never even cooked on one!!

After hearing so many people around here praise the kettle's amazing abilities, I decided to look for a used one on CL... found a beautiful redhead for $30 and now I have 4 22.5's and a SJ... honestly the best (most versatile) cooker I've ever owned. I can't believe I spent so many years hating... think of all the lost time!

Since I added the ROL and SS rotisserie ring, it's made it that much more dynamic - looking forward to adding a cajun bandit style center for a po' man's WSM...

If I would start all over I would get a kettle Phirst!
Most of the kettle cooking I did was at Padawan's Place on her Landmann and Red Weber Kettle.

I've had a kettle for 8 years and never tried or thought of smoking anything like brisket, butt's, turkey on it and probably wont cause I don't want to fark up a good thing me and Ace*(my uds) got going on. I agree they are versatile in many ways but I really would have no idea how much you could do on it if I wouldn't have found this farkin place. I kinda wish I would've learned to smoke on the kettle before the UDS but I had a CGriller the same time I had a kettle the CG is gone kettle still stands.:heh:

I've been cleaning up my 20 year old OTS today as well as tinkering with my SS Performer.

If I don't get one of them put back together by dinner time tomorrow I mught have to buy another..:loco:

41HMAK5B3DL._SY450_.jpg

Me rikey rikey :biggrin1:

I loved my old Mastertouch. A friend was carrying it to a neighborhood function in his truck with the tailgate down; it slid out the back and that was the end of it. One of my worst days.:cry:

Back