BBQ Catering Competition Networking or Not?

B

BigJimsBBQ

Wanted to throw out the discussion thread about local BBQ Catering competition networking to get your advice around the pros and cons.

What are your opinions around first knowing your competition in BBQ Catering quality and pricing. If thier quality is high enough, talk to them about working out a "finder's fee" for references to each other for Customers that need a specific date already booked. You could also sub-contract each other for the very large jobs, or jobs that you need covered due to emergencies. This would allow a "Partner" relationship between competitors.

What kind of policies would you set-up to ensure that the end Customer and you are still connected? Would you even pursue this possibility?

Thanks for your advise in advance ....

Lost me Jim. You talking about giving away work?

Never mind, opened my eyes and re-read. :biggrin:

We already do that here. Know most of the BBQ guys across the state and give references for parties that we can't get to or are already booked for.

Are you looking to network/partner with another catering biz? I'm not sure I'd want to give away any work and just get a finders fee. Who's to say the next time that customer wants something calls you instead of the company that did it? I doubt there would be a "finders fee" for future work and you just lost a potential long term customer. Just my .2

I network with a lot of BBQ guys here in town. I send folks to other restaurants in town when I'm not cooking (as a second option). I recommend other caterers in areas outside of where I want to travel or if I'm booked and I get folks that do the same for me. I can't cook all the time for everybody so I'd rather share info about someone I know is a good cook rather than let a customer end up with rubber chicken from a hack. Give and you shall receive.

Thanks everyone,

I agree with refering to a Good Quality BBQ Caterers that have Good Q to help the Customer vs. saying I can't and good Luck.

Back