• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Let's Talk Dogs

When family visits, they bootleg the 3lb package of Sahlen’s hot dogs for us. I like kettle cooking hotdogs over charcoal, but also have been known to crank up the Gasser for convenience. Get a little char on them - won’t hurt them a bit. Then you need Weber’s horseradish mustard and minced white onion, on store label buns (not to big and thick, but enough to hold the condiments).

When we’re out of Sahlen’s, Hebrew National work in a pinch, cooked up the same way.

OMG .... just got back from the gym ..... Thanks to everyone who shared. A lot of great comments/suggestions. No one way ... more to try out again. I've gas grilled ... flat topped... boiled .... char grilled ... haven't fryed ..... will have to experiment a bit more in depth .... Different brands of dogs taste/look different depending on they way they're cooked .

I'm not even going to ask about toppings ......

Those from the Chicagoland will get it, those from elsewhere, not so much. Here we take dogs dead serious, in fact, the hometown favorite offers HDU = Hot Dog University, you can actually go to school to learn how to (among other things) properly make a hot dog. Les you think I'm joking:
https://www.viennabeef.com/behind-the-grill/hot-dog-university/our-program-1/

For me, I'm a traditional guy:

Steamed Vienna brand hot dog
Steamed S. Rosen brand poppy seed bun
Vienna brand Mustard
Onions
Vienna brand (Chicago style) relish
Vienna brand sport peppers
Celery salt
Tomato spear
Pickle wedge

The "old school" hot dog stands take the dressed hot dog, throw it on paper then fries on top, wrap and serve.

Pretty much anyway...prefer grilled with a lil char...or split and fried. Mustard...kraut are my fav condiments.

And always good at the turn on the golf course.

Grilled with decent char. Natural casings are required. Must have that snap. Sahlen’s is really the best answer here.

Also, why would I have hotdogs unless I have hotdog buns? No hotdogs rolled in a slice of bread.

I also like them cooked over hot charcoal, and natural casings are a must.

I also cook a combination of white hots and red hots each cook.

I prefer Sahlen's natural casing or Hoffman's natural casing for reds, Hoffman's or Zweigel's for whites.

I like them with pickled onions and mustard, or an onion relish with a spicy catsup (Stonewall Kitchen).

But I'm also a sucker for a water dog (boiled), but only if it's a Sabrett wit Sabrett onions in sauce.

Recently cooked A lot of dogs for a A lot of people, good quality all beef 1/4 pounders on a gas grill. About a third of the people were concerned about the char on the skinless dogs. Sucks for them, cause I was cooking full blast, highest heat, and I was really in the weeds, and the dogs were only semi-thawed! I'd rather hear people bitch about char on their hot dog than find out next week that a whole herd of people got sick, and I was the common denominator.

And, oh by the way, haters, I like dogs all ways, but a favorite is with Catsup and Thousand Island Dressing with chopped onion. Yeeeah Boy! Dave

ANY AND EVERY WAY,as long as it is a good,quality dawg.I like them dressed many different ways also,depending on the mood I am in.

i prefer a more "sausage like" dog like those made by Schweigert or Salmon's (wi/midwest only?) and done either on grill or an open fire. condiments and additions vary but sometimes i add (gasp!) ketchup or bbq sauce.

Ball Park all beef spiral dog over charcoal, just the beginning of char on it.
Served up with ketchup, sometimes salsa and cheese or chili, cheese and onion.

I love all dogs...

I HATE it when the bun becomes unhooked at the back and you end up with 2 pieces of bread instead of a bun. Another major problem with todays dogs is the incredible amount of salt in them. I use salt on everything but find the sodium level in hot dogs distasteful (see what I did there?)
Ed

It’s All About The Meat

It’s hard to find a great hotdog out here in the West. Sabrett natural casing that gives the snap is hands down the best followed by Hebrew National and Nathan’s. Grilled on the flat top is preferred. As long as they are not burnt or overcooked, all is good. It’s all about quality. I once asked a nice Jewish man behind the counter why his deli meat was so expensive? He had a simple answer, “It’s Quality”.

Pinks serves up an awesome dog. They won’t say their source but I think they might be outsourced Sabretts.

Like Fat Jack’s in Studio City says “Best Meat In Town. If You Can’t Eat It, Beat It”. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back