Stainless Steel Box ....I Got It.... Now, What To Do With It?

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
I guess I look at all kinds of things like I can use it and this is no exception. This is a box made for holding medical instruments in a sterilizer. Dimensions are on the photo's. It has a locking lid, handles on each end and the perforated panels appear to have some kind of coating baked on. My first thought was to use it to transport and store some of my smoking/cooking supplies when cooking away from home. But with the holes it would get dirty and possibly wet.

Then I wondered about converting it (or modifying it) into some useful smoking appliance, or rack.... or something. But I'm at a dead end on that.

If you have any ideas how you would use it.... or how I should use it, let me know.

TJSkk2V.jpg

AhnC2jv.jpg

Last edited:
Santa Maria! or a really kool charcoal grill/flat top

The perforated pieces are coated, kind of a battleship gray. It appears to be a pretty serious baked on kind of finish. It can obviously take the heat of steam, but I think direct fire might be a different story

It should fit in a fridge, it would make a kickass dry aging box.

Add a couple of stubs to the bottom to keep it off the fridge shelf so air can circulate.
Lay this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-1826139-Nonstick-Cooling-17-Inch/dp/B008BULFLY/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1395622658&sr=8-28&keywords=12%22+cooling+rack"]Amazon.com: Calphalon 1826139 Nonstick Cooling Rack, 12 by 17-Inch: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31MRDYbU4vL.@@AMEPARAM@@31MRDYbU4vL[/ame]on those brackets to hold the meat.

Wow. I would have to buy that if I saw it. I don't know how thick the SS mesh is but.... I would turn that into a cast iron camp stove table. I would put some steel on the bottom brackets to catch the ashes and I would place coals directly on the top screen with my camp CI oven on top of it. I would also add wind screens around the box.
Or.... that top mesh looks a whole lot like a pizza screen. I would have to work on that idea.
Just a couple thoughts :)

Id throw a couple propane burners in it and have a nice portable propane burner.

I have a bunch of these at work. They should be 304 Stainless steel. I always thought of making something out of them but never came up with something useful. I have a bunch of the instruments that came with them. I will try and add some pictures of them later.

Firebox for a double barrel smoker?

Or, you can send it to your newest, bestest buddy and big toe, Me.

It should fit in a fridge, it would make a kickass dry aging box.

Add a couple of stubs to the bottom to keep it off the fridge shelf.

Yes, it would work for that, and there is space below the shelf support, so I wouldn't have to build legs. As far as a rack goes, I could fab up one from 5/32" stainless rod.

Wow. I would have to buy that if I saw it. I don't know how thick the SS mesh is but.... I would turn that into a cast iron camp stove table. I would put some steel on the bottom brackets to catch the ashes and I would place coals directly on the top screen with my camp CI oven on top of it. I would also add wind screens around the box.
Or.... that top mesh looks a whole lot like a pizza screen. I would have to work on that idea.
Just a couple thoughts :)

Good thoughts Marty, the stainless is pretty thin, I think heat warpage would be an issue with direct contact with coals or heat.... plus it's coated, which may or may not burn off easily.

Fish smoker?

I have two "Chief" box smokers (a Little and a Big) that I've used for fish for decades. I'm too old to change now. :mrgreen:

I have a bunch of these at work. They should be 304 Stainless steel. I always thought of making something out of them but never came up with something useful. I have a bunch of the instruments that came with them. I will try and add some pictures of them later.

I did see some on eBay (one similar was $350, but nobody was biting)

Back