Judging: Pencils or Pens?

Podge

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Do judges use pencils to write the scores down while judging?.. Are they suppose to keep the score they have written down, or can the change it? If they are not suppose to, but change it anyway? (IE:.. "I thought these ribs were great so I gave them a 9, but the other ribs were better so I changed that score to an 8, and gave the better ones a 9")

Pencils & pens are both used - some organizers furnish one, some the other.

No scores (in KCBS) are allowed to be changed without the Rep's ok. The only reason for that would be a slip of the pen(cil) making the number hard to read or putting the wrong entry's score on another entry's line. A judge is prohibited from comparing entries - each entry must be judged on it's own merits, at least under KCBS rules.

Judging is not comparative. Each entry is judged on it's own merit (or lack of). Scores are written down and cannot be changed once written, except if directed by the contest rep in the case of a DQ.

Russ

Judging is not comparative. Each entry is judged on it's own merit (or lack of). Scores are written down and cannot be changed once written, except if directed by the contest rep in the case of a DQ.

Russ

KCBS and FBA, you're correct. MBN has a comparative final score, and GBA is comparative.

In KCBS this statement is absolutely correct; HOWEVER, that is absolutely NOT correct in MBN! MBN/MIM judging is all about comparison of ALL the entries you judge in a particular category "that day". Meaning that you might give three of the six "blind box" entries a 10 in appearance, taste, AND texture, but only one box can get a 10 overall. Kinda confusing until you judge a few contests, but it actually works.

I realize that MOST folks on this site are KCBS, but PLEASE understand that there are "other" sanctioning organizations out there for barbecue contests.

Just saying...

The comments above have it correct about KCBS.

Yes, there are different rules for different sanctioning bodies.
I have no problem with the differences.
It does, however, put a team at a disadvantage if they have been competing in
one group and have a contest in another. Saw that happen at the Royal with teams
that had no experience withKCBS.

I have never seen a judge change their score. I have seen it where they scratched out a number and the rep had to get involved to see if they wrong the score on the wrong line OR changed their score.

You guys are correct. I should have specified the sanctioning entity(s). I was referring to KCBS and FBA. In retrospect it was kind of short sighted.

Russ

Back