View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I'm hoping Sako will weigh in on the marinade. It sure tasted really close...
Close Richard. First off, I would devour those.

The below is as short as I can put some background on Armenian bbq.

You've got the salt and paprika right. When it comes to Armenian bbq marinade is salt, pepper, paprika (for color) and thinly sliced onions (for tenderization). That's it! It's meant to be simple and let the meat shine through. Now, most of the butcher shops and stores have their version with added ingredients to make it unique, in theory like the carne asada with million variations but the base is always the same.

With that said, we use the same marinade for all protein and believe it or not it comes out awesome. A non-Armenian friend had asked what's in the marinade which I broke down for him and he said "bullsh&t" So some time passed and he tried it himself and called right after the bbq with excitement saying "You weren't lying?" Well, no sh&t! Keep in mind Armenians like savory flavors, especially bbq, so there is hardly any sugar used if at all.

So, for kabobs rule of thumb per each lb of meat is:

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 paprika

half a medium of large onion sliced

Mix everything in well and let it marinate for up 4-6 hours but a minimum of 2.

Some pointers:

You want more color say on pork, then add more paprika until you reach your desired hue.

Aleppo pepper (available locally in the same markets) gives it a nice flavor and tad bit of kick. I use it a lot especially in Armenian BBQ.

You can also add, dry or fresh oregano, parsley, cilantro etc but totally optional.

Now when it comes to cooking, it's skewered first on heavy duty metal skewers over direct fire on an open face pit. It's hot and fast and usually done in 10-25 mins depending the meat you're cooking and doneness.

As a matter of fact my brother built a Armenian grill for him and we did the inaugural cook Saturday. This is a typical Armenian . Usually everyone gathers around the grill and helps themselves as the meat comes right off. A lot vodka shots are had as well

Fire broke down to coals

Lamb chops and beef

Pork neck bones (left 3) and baby back ribs right 4

They cook in about 20 mins

Iberico pork

The pork neck bones were off the hook

So were the baby backs

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)

Last edited by ssv3; 11-20-2017 at 05:21 PM..
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->