• Armenian Style Fire-Grilled Lamb Chops

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
The Missus and I frequent a couple of local Armenian markets to buy our chickens from - they are fresh young chickens and weigh in around 3 lbs and are the best chickens we've even had. These markets also sell other kinds of meats like chicken pieces, lamb chops, kabob meat, individual pork back ribs that are pre-marinated in a wonderful wet rub concoction that are great on the grill.

Here's a shot of the meat counter from one of our local Armenian markets:

Chop%20Shop%20Meat%20Counter_zps5saqet2z.jpg

One of the butchers disclosed the ingredients (but not ratios) of the wet rub to me a while back, so I decided to make some myself. First, I started out with a nice rack of lamb:

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%201_zpsvjrzdvbw.jpg

Out of the package:

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%203_zpspropwysp.jpg

Then I cut up the lamb into individual chops:

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%204_zpsvhngp1it.jpg

I then mixed up the dry ingredients for the wet rub. I used the following:

2 TBS Paprika
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%202_zpsakqwihmf.jpg

The lamb chops went into a bowl with some thinly sliced white onion:

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%205_zpshnhyejno.jpg

I applied the dry ingredients to the lamb chops, and added the juice of one whole lemon and mixed the chops so they were evenly coated so they could sit and get happy for the day in the fridge.

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%206_zpsgfmjqzyc.jpg

When evening came, I fired up the Kingsford Oval with mesquite lump, briquets, and some oak:

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%207_zps0wkvemuo.jpg

Getting hot in there:

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%208_zpsuiebvb2y.jpg

Put the chops on indirect with meat facing the hot side:

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%209_zpsvs6moswn.jpg

When the chops were almost done, I moved them closer to the hot side and turned them around so some of the fat near the bone could render:

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%2010_zpsqpdfsvns.jpg

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%2011_zpsskmhn6tm.jpg

When I felt they were done, I pulled them off the grill, and plated them:

11.19%202017%20Armenian%20Lamb%20Chops%2012_zpsw46aii5d.jpg

They were everything we had hoped for and more! This marinade really kicked up the flavor quite a few notches and was absolutely delicious.

Our usual seasoning for lamb consists of olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and sea salt, but to be honest, this was even tastier.

Thanks fer lookin'!

Those are some delicious looking chops and an amazing looking shop.

I'm hoping Sako will weigh in on the marinade. It sure tasted really close...

Close Richard. First off, I would devour those.

The below is as short as I can put some background on Armenian bbq.

You've got the salt and paprika right. :-D When it comes to Armenian bbq marinade is salt, pepper, paprika (for color) and thinly sliced onions (for tenderization). That's it! It's meant to be simple and let the meat shine through. Now, most of the butcher shops and stores have their version with added ingredients to make it unique, in theory like the carne asada with million variations but the base is always the same.

With that said, we use the same marinade for all protein and believe it or not it comes out awesome. A non-Armenian friend had asked what's in the marinade which I broke down for him and he said "bullsh&t" So some time passed and he tried it himself and called right after the bbq with excitement saying "You weren't lying?" Well, no sh&t! Keep in mind Armenians like savory flavors, especially bbq, so there is hardly any sugar used if at all.

So, for kabobs rule of thumb per each lb of meat is:

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 paprika

half a medium of large onion sliced

Mix everything in well and let it marinate for up 4-6 hours but a minimum of 2.

Some pointers:

You want more color say on pork, then add more paprika until you reach your desired hue.

Aleppo pepper (available locally in the same markets) gives it a nice flavor and tad bit of kick. I use it a lot especially in Armenian BBQ.

You can also add, dry or fresh oregano, parsley, cilantro etc but totally optional.

Now when it comes to cooking, it's skewered first on heavy duty metal skewers over direct fire on an open face pit. It's hot and fast and usually done in 10-25 mins depending the meat you're cooking and doneness.

As a matter of fact my brother built a Armenian grill for him and we did the inaugural cook Saturday. This is a typical Armenian . Usually everyone gathers around the grill and helps themselves as the meat comes right off. A lot vodka shots are had as well :becky:

HXm8fG6.jpg

Fire broke down to coals

U4yM650h.jpg

Lamb chops and beef

kHZuZUth.jpg

wh9ouDYh.jpg

lfI9UOHh.jpg

Pork neck bones (left 3) and baby back ribs right 4

W07QfGkh.jpg

They cook in about 20 mins

DOZ5Je1h.jpg

Iberico pork