Do you add anything to pulled pork after pulling?

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
You have a Great BB done to tender. It's rested and you pull it. Sure there is a great bark but that's a lot of pork.

I know some folks sauce it.

Anyone sprinkle rub or just S&P on it after it's pulled?

Thanks!

I have been known to sprinkle some rub, and then boil down the pan drippings a little and pour them over it, tasty :tape:

If it's going to get eaten right away, sometimes sauce.

If it's going to get vac packed, apple juice.

If I foil during the cook, I add back ALL liquid from the foil. If I don't feel like there is enough liquid or if I lost some through a hole in the foil, I'll add some apple juice, but not enough to make it very sweet.

Defat the drippings and warm with acv and red pepper flakes and add it back in to the pulled meat. Doesn't taste sauced, it just tastes goood.

I'll usually mix the drippings back in with a little rub.

The juice from foiling (I avoid as much fat as I can without doing the refrigerator method), a sprinkle of rub and maybe a tiny bit of sauce. One thing I can recommend is make sure your rub is nice and fine. If you use turbanado or kosher the chunks may not breakdown in time for your eaters. I use a pestle and mortar to get my rub ground down.

I've always just dumped all the foil drippings in there, fat and all after pulling. Should I be be letting the fat separate and just adding the liquid back? It's usually good but I have noticed that when you refrigerate it or freeze leftovers the fat accumulates in the bottom and forms a rub colored layer, usually redish-orange from the paprika I guess. Doesn't look all that nice when it's bagged but it all turns back to liquid when warmed up. Guess I wouldn't need to do that if I was giving some of it away to a friend or family member. Might think it went bad or something.

I've always just dumped all the foil drippings in there, fat and all after pulling. Should I be be letting the fat separate and just adding the liquid back?

I mix it ALL back in. I do strain it to make sure there are no globs of anything or bone fragments but I mix it up fat and all.

While too much of anything can be bad for you, fat and red meat have been WAAAAY over villified for a long time. You could put Blues Hog original on it, and the sugar in the sauce would be more harmful than the fat from the pork.

I mix it ALL back in. I do strain it to make sure there are no globs of anything or bone fragments but I mix it up fat and all.

While too much of anything can be bad for you, fat and red meat have been WAAAAY over villified for a long time. You could put Blues Hog original on it, and the sugar in the sauce would be more harmful than the fat from the pork.

Yeah I don't worry too much about fat or calories. If I'm eating barbecue I want it to be all that it can be since it is never, ever, ever going to be a "health" food. Not saying it's bad for you, but you ain't gonna lose weight gorging on pork.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't messing up my Q with all that grease. Never done it another way since I got my little Mini WSM built about a year ago.

I'm a sucker for horseradish and/or slaw if for sandwiches, and carne asada rub and hot sauce if using it for tacos.

Back