• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is "boiling beef" equal to a brisket?

Cook it in a dutch oven until it is close to tender and finish it on the pit for some smoke and bark.

Go buy a full packer 15# and say this is what you gave me, no loss of credibility and everyone is happy. I wouldn't put my name on that end product 4 year old meat, I know they say it's the cook not the cooker but dam.

Sent from my SGH-T999

I would personally never cook any meat I'm not 100-percent sure about for a group of people. I'd be a nervous wreck.

Go buy some meat that you have confidence in. The boss doesn't have to know.

CD

If that date is verified .... talking about aging!?!?

Would rather grab a shovel, dig a deep hole for the beef... than trying to dig yourself out with your cooking reputation and your boss' questionable choice of 'aged' cuts.

^ +1 ... I agree, couldn't create a situation this bad for yourself if you tried...
4 Years Old?????

I guess I see it this way.........the "boss" makes more money, I'm sure. It should come out of "his" pocket. He should be treating his employees to something good. This guy "raises" cattle. He can do better than 4 year old boiling beef!!! FARK THAT! There, I feel better. Tell him to break out with the good stuff!:-D:wink:

I agree with Frognot and Beto, I would tell the boss that the meat is on the old side, tell him upfront. Let him know you will open it up, check it out, but, that if there is any doubt, you will not cook it.

If I had a reputation as a cook, I would not risk it because some guy thinks that meat is good enough for his workers. To be honest, I would have told him no, I prefer to buy my own meat for what I cook.

I agree with Frognot and Beto, I would tell the boss that the meat is on the old side, tell him upfront. Let him know you will open it up, check it out, but, that if there is any doubt, you will not cook it.

If I had a reputation as a cook, I would not risk it because some guy thinks that meat is good enough for his workers. To be honest, I would have told him no, I prefer to buy my own meat for what I cook.

Damn straight!:thumb: I wouldn't risk my reputation with my co-workers. I'd hate to be known as the guy that gave em the chits at the company christmas lunch or worse, they could start comparing you to Shane! Oh the horror..............:bow:
Seriously though, let him know. Not work the health or reputation risk.

If I am gonna give my coworkers the chits, it is gonna be because of too much chile in the chili :clap: and not because the last thing they saw was my big furry butt in a lime green thong :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rU5mpwJ6GU"]Seinfeld - Frank Costanza has a flashback - YouTube[/ame]

FYI,He either hates you,or he is cheap or both.Meat(any kind) can be frozen that long or longer without adverse results,cannot tell it from fresh,IF and I mean IF it was packaged correctly to start with! Not sure how well you know this dude but sounds to me like he is cleaning out the freezer to make room for fresh and your cooking abilities are the scapegoat."I gave him my home raised beef", "not sure guys,but I think he ruined it"! " He claimed to be a great cook,what do ya'll think?" Either way,you LOSE! Pi$$ him off because you do not use his generous gift of meat,or all your co-workers think you do not have a clue!Lose/Lose! OR maybe his meat is fine if packaged correctly,cook a little for a test run,then decide.:thumb: Never look a Gift horse in the mouth,and never trust the giver,ride the horse before you feed him.:wink:(just my thoughts).:cool:

Buy a pork butt and some chicken, cook those and tell him this is what was in the package. maybe throw some frog legs on just to mess with him...

Either that or go talk with him about your concerns and see what he says. He trusts you enough to cook for the group, I would assume he would respect you enought to understand your concerns.

Simple asked him if he aware the meat is four years old. He either say yes or no

Thank you all for the advice and the humor! Many of them made me laugh out loud - especially the Seinfeld video.

When I brought the packages into the kitchen, my wife said "What is that smell? It smells like an old freezer." That settled it right there. No way am I cooking this stuff. I don't want my name tied to the end product.

On another note, I thawed one of them out just to see what it is. It is a brisket flat with almost a "red wine" purple color to it. And smell? Holy smokes does it smell!

I'll talk to the boss and let him know this meat has turned and I cannot cook it to serve to fellow co-workers. A guy has to keep his reputation intact.

So tell us, is the Boss Man a cheapskate??:-D Seriously though, if your wife picked up on the smell and asked what it was, that is NOT a good sign! You did good!

Bob

I don't think he's cheap, but rather, ignorant on what it takes to make good BBQ. Like many of the people in this part of the country, he doesn't have a clue what good BBQ is and probably thinks Applebee's has good ribs.

As for keeping meat in the freezer for 4 years and expecting it to be top quality, I thought common sense would prevail. Clearly, I was wrong.

man, that is a rough spot. 4 year old meat stored in butchers paper is no bueno. My uncle pulls that all the time. Since he raises his own cattle, it is probably safe to say that they are grass fed, which will have a slightly different taste than the corn fed beef people are used to eating, and that is if it is not freezer burned.

What you do depends on your relationship with this supervisor and how candid he allows you to be with him.

If your relationship is good with him, all you have to do is mention "hey do you know that the package of meat you gave me is over 4 years old?". It is possible that he didn't look at the date and thought he was giving you something newer. Hopefully, he will realize his error and will either hook you up with something more suitable or spring for a decent brisket.

If your relationship is not open with the guy, or if he is a tyrant that doesn't allow his subordinates to voice concerns candidly, then just buy another brisket on your own and cook both. You simply cannot let that garbage represent your cooking. But I would still cook the meat he gave you. Just don't do anything that would make you appear that you are trying to show him up. Cut off all visible evidence of freezerburn and apply a good coat of red wine vinegar the night before. That will tame some of the off flavors, but will not fix it completely. I would definitely foil with a good amount of bbq sauce to mask the off flavors.

The color of the meat means little, there are cattle that have naturally darker meat, plus, how they were fed and slaughtered affects that as well. But, you should never be able to smell meat while it is still wrapped.

Back