well this suxs!!!!!!!!

AUradar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I volunteered to smoke a few butts for hte pee-wee football league. Tomorrow is all day of games so I figure it would give them something else to sell at the concession stand. And it would be great cause they could freeze what they don't sell and try again next game day.

So they bought 4 butts and I've soaked them 24 hours in a brine. Got my old trusty smoker out today and washed it up good. Its an electric smoker (i know, i know) but hey, its really nice. Been useing it pretty much every week for the past year. Its nice because there's nothing to monitor, program the temp, put in the meat, and come back later and take it out. We are constantly on the go so its best for us.

well, after giving it a good washing I set it on high for 2 hours to burn everything off. that was this afternoon. Just went to put the butts in and the control module is screwed up. Great, no smoker.

so no I'm going to try my UDS. I've only used it a few times and that was for ribs. Haven't had time to really use it. So, long night, experimental cook, and a football league expecting a good pulled pork. No pressure.

only positive side is if I can get the UDS to work right I'll be using lumps so it will make for a nice pork butt.

Electric smokers aren't that bad. I know a guy who used to cook on them and built up a pretty nice retirement from it. But, your UDS will make some GREAT pulled pork. So, just dial in the temp and you should be fine. Don't sweat it. Pork butt is very forgiving. "Good smokin' luck!" :p

You'll do fine. Like above, butts are very forgiving, don't sweat it. I use lump all the time.

You will still be able to get some sleep, the UDS will do its job just fine. I set my alarm to check mine ever 4 hours or so.

well, its now just about 7 am Sat morning. its gone alright. I was up just about every 30 minutes checking the temp. THe few times I've used my UDS i've gotten it to hot so I was trying extra hard to keep the temp down. Ended up putting the fire out at one time though. Oh well. Last couple of hours though I think I've dialed it in so we'll see.

just took them off. not a lot of sleep last night but I think I'm going to be okay.

Attachments

• IMG_3371.jpg
    IMG_3371.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3373.jpg
    IMG_3373.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 243
Very cool there, nice job. They are gonna love it:thumb:

Glad it is all working out for you, they are looking great.

And remember, no good deed goes unpunished.....lol

Thanks for the update. I read your post last night and was wondering how it was going for you today. The butts look good - enjoy the food and the football. Good job.

just took it to the field. Now that its over, it worked out better. that electric smoker is nice, but it can't compare to the UDS. I still need practice on controlling my heat thought. I think mainly i need to learn patiance.

Attachments

• IMG_3374.jpg
    IMG_3374.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 100
Back