Stuffed Pork Loin

L

Larry Wolfe

I started off rendering chopped bacon, then carmelized 1 whole red onion in the bacon drippings along with several garlic cloves closer to the end. Then added chopped mushrooms and chopped spinach. After that cooled I added swiss cheese. I then butterflied 1/2 of a whole pork loin and pounded until I had a uniform consistency. Then stuffed, rolled and tied. Then cooked on a raised grate direct at 325* for about an hour and a half. Served with wild rice and butter beans! This meal was one of the best I've made in a while!!!

That's one of my wife's favorite. I haven't done it since last Thanksgiving though cause I hate tying a roast:roll: . Next time try putting some jelly (i use apricot) on the meat before you add the filling. Keeps the pork real juicy and sweet.

Looks good. I love cooking a stuffed pork loin and next time I think I will try the jelly.

Very nice! Would smoking a stuffed loin be dry? What temps/ how long?

My wife was just asking me the other day to stuff and smoke a loin. Think I might do it this next coming weekend.

Very nice! Would smoking a stuffed loin be dry? What temps/ how long?

You can smoke pork loins just fine. Howeverr in my opinion I would brine first, they're too lean to smoke low and slow without brining.

I like to take a large pork loin and cut and X in the middle of it and slide two jalapeno sausages inside and then smoke for about 5 hours.

And sometimes I put two or three pieces of bacon on the top with toothpicks to help keep it from drying out.

I did a stuffed loin this weekend with Pablano pepers and Mushrooms. Direct on one side for 45 min the indirect for about another hour. Turned out great. Temp was around 275-300 the whole time. 2 hours of indirect with 10 mins direct each side would have probably been better. Teh pepers were a little crunchier that I would have liked. I also sprayed with Apple juice every 30 min. after the first 45. I kinda got busy and then remembered it was directly over the coals.

I'll have to try adding garlic and maybe spinach with the peppers and mushrooms next time.

Where do you guys get the string to tie the loins after butterflying them? I held mine together with some toothpicks but the string looks like it would hold better and not end up on my wife's plate.

I did a stuffed loin this weekend with Pablano pepers and Mushrooms. Direct on one side for 45 min the indirect for about another hour. Turned out great. Temp was around 275-300 the whole time. 2 hours of indirect with 10 mins direct each side would have probably been better. Teh pepers were a little crunchier that I would have liked. I also sprayed with Apple juice every 30 min. after the first 45. I kinda got busy and then remembered it was directly over the coals.

I'll have to try adding garlic and maybe spinach with the peppers and mushrooms next time.

Where do you guys get the string to tie the loins after butterflying them? I held mine together with some toothpicks but the string looks like it would hold better and not end up on my wife's plate.

You should be able to buy the "Butcher Twine" anywhere. Grocery stores, Wal Mart or if all else fails just ask your butcher! It's like $2-$3 for a big spool that will last quite a while.

Back