View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim
Default "Jack" Chips on a Gasser Grill

Don't laugh--gassers work fine for their intended use, like tonight!

Found JD wood chips and pellets in plentiful supply at Wally World on Fri. Just had to try them! Bought a pack of each. Not cheap, for sure!
I have been experimenting with various chips and pellets on the gasser grill-- with some great (and some forgettable) results in the flavor.

Did a really nice Ribeye on the gasser with JD chips in foil for supper tonight.

Lessons learned--
1--Simple "holes in the foil" may work, but you will use a hell of a lot of fuel to get there! I wound up just "slitting" the top for a "small and controlled" burn that lasted the whole length of the steak cook.
2--When it is in the frigid 50's outside, go ahead and leave all 5 burners cranking out heat! I normally shut off the middle and the one to the right of that one. But, the heat plummets in "frigid weather"
Heck--it is only a fuel bill--no big deal!

3--Mesquite works great, but JD chips rock!
Gonna go back tomorrow and stock up for the year. Hard to come by most of the time.

4--"Emeril" gave me a ThermoPen for Christmas. I can not thank him enough! I could never develop the "feel" to just press or poke a steak or chop and pull it off at medium rare or "whatever". Now, I just "stick it" with the ThermoPen and when I see 125-130 ish, it "goes to foil to rest"!
Life is grand since I do not miss "doneness" now!
Technology overcomes lack of talent!

Pics included so I don't get banned from here!
The final plating was not complete. I had to grab a quick pic before Mrs Kapn hit me with the taters and roll to finish it up.

A great quick cook in the evening in chilly Florida!

TIM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ribeye1.jpg (53.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Ribeye2.jpg (51.6 KB, 70 views)