Rookie Rub question

Ducman491

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
My daughter wants ribs for her birthday dinner tomorrow. I found a recipe for a dry rub that I think she'll like and I always thought you should rub, wrap, and refrigerate the night before if possible. Is this right?

I only have a gas grill for now so they won't be done really slow but I plan on trying to smoke them a bit over about 3 hours on there. Any other advice?

Thanks
Jason

It depends on how much salt is in the rub. If it is heavy on salt you could end up curing the ribs and they will taste hammy. I rub ribs two hours ahead of time and let them sit in the fridge with the rub on them. The rub draws moisture from the ribs and rehydrates the rub, and then the ribs draw the moisture back in and bring some flavor into the ribs.

The rub is mainly cayanne pepper and chili powder. There is enough time for me to rub and refrigerate for a couple hours tomorrow.

Thanks

I typically apply rub while my cooker is comin up to temp, this gives about a half hour to 45 to sit al rubbed down. Personally I'd go that route to play it safe. Cook em right(passes the bend test) rest, slice and serve and she'll love em.

From doing both it doesn't matter much imo. Depending on the gasser put the ribs as far opposite the burner as you can and just concentrate on pull back and probe tender.

Oh consider introducing some smoke even if it's wood chips wrapped in punctured foil near the burner.

The rub is mainly cayanne pepper and chili powder. There is enough time for me to rub and refrigerate for a couple hours tomorrow.

Thanks

That's a spicy sounding rub. But if she likes spice then you're good to go.

If you have any woodchips, make a foil pack (wrap wet chips in foil, put them in foil and poke holes in the top) then raise a grill and set them on one of the burner diffusers. Run them naked with your favorite rub indirect heat and look for pullback off the bone and probe tender. You can make some tasty ribs on a gasser.

Whoa... Mainly cayenne and chili powder? For your daughter? I make my own rub and let my tell you a little cayenne goes a long way when it comes to rubs. Hopefully there's a fair amount of paprika or sugar in it as well. Good luck, taste it before you put it on the ribs. As far as the gasser goes, if you haven't ever tried ribs on it, I'd have one or two burners on low with with the ribs on the far side from the flame, on the top rack if your grill has one. Get some hickory chips and make a foil wrap and place it on the cooking grate above the flames. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a couple foil packs ready. Hard to judge times unless I know how hot the gasser is getting, but you could foil with Apple juice about half way thru. Let em go till they pass the bend test and not a minute sooner! Good luck and hope your daughter has a happy birthday!

I'm often not prepared enough to put my rub on the evening before. I usually try to do it an hour or two before throwing it on the smoker.

Whoa... Mainly cayenne and chili powder? For your daughter? I make my own rub and let my tell you a little cayenne goes a long way when it comes to rubs. Hopefully there's a fair amount of paprika or sugar in it as well. Good luck, taste it before you put it on the ribs. As far as the gasser goes, if you haven't ever tried ribs on it, I'd have one or two burners on low with with the ribs on the far side from the flame, on the top rack if your grill has one. Get some hickory chips and make a foil wrap and place it on the cooking grate above the flames. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a couple foil packs ready. Hard to judge times unless I know how hot the gasser is getting, but you could foil with Apple juice about half way thru. Let em go till they pass the bend test and not a minute sooner! Good luck and hope your daughter has a happy birthday!

I'll second this notion on the rub and indirect cooking setup. You can also place an old cookie sheet under the grate right over a burner and sprinkle wood chips on it for smoke. The sheet also acts as a heat shield/drip pan. I've done it on my gasser in a pinch with good results

Ron saved me the typing. I say ditto to every word he said.

Yup, what they all said. It's pretty easy to make a rub, and most would have some salt and sugar as well as the spices.

Yes on the sugar and salt.
This is a main stay of a rub for smoked meat.
Spices adds the kick.
Without sugar and salt....no kick!!

I'm gonna pick up some hickory chips and wrap them in foil for some smoke. Thanks for the tip guys and I'll let you know how it comes out.

I'm gonna pick up some hickory chips and wrap them in foil for some smoke. Thanks for the tip guys and I'll let you know how it comes out.
Do several small bags because they'll burn up quick most likely. Good luck.

You have your bases covered now, let us know how it turns out...

Well dinner is over. They came out pretty well.

I started out once the grill was at 300 with 2 racks away from the burners and 5 apple wood smoke bombs under the grates for 40 min or so.

Then I poured apple juice over them and wrapped them in foil. Increased the heat to 375 for another 40 min.

Unwrapped for another 40 min with the heat down to 275 or so.

Sauced with KC Masterpiece Original and flipped at 10 minute increments for another 40 min.

The bigger rack needed to stay on for another 20 min but all in all they came out pretty good considering my janky set up. My everyone liked them but I can see room for improvement. As far as the flavor, I liked it. A bit sweet at first with the cayanne bite in the back end.

Thanks for the advice everyone! (I have some pics but can't post from my phone)

Back