Can a one person team realistically compete?

Can it be done sure, but seriously think about your cookers of choice.

You will need sleep overnight to be effective during turn ins, I like stick burners, but i personally need more sleep than one provides at a comp especially if your a 1 man team.

You will need to minimize, packing and loading. and your processes will be key to your success.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Check out parrothead, John is a one man show and he got an automatic for the Jack with more than 7 GC's this year alone. It can be and it is done more than you might expect.

Pay attention to the attached from Goddahavit.
If I was alone there is no way that I would be cooking on a Lang.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Lang, and we use them for comps but we have a three man team.

Rest is important.

Can it be done sure, but seriously think about your cookers of choice.

You will need sleep overnight to be effective during turn ins, I like stick burners, but i personally need more sleep than one provides at a comp especially if your a 1 man team.

You will need to minimize, packing and loading. and your processes will be key to your success.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Yep, it can be done with good results. I have two comps under my belt, both with about 30 teams. I have had calls in both with a 10th overall in the first one. I have a printed timeline and stick to it. This was developed after numerous comp-type practices. I use a Backwoods for brisket, pork, and ribs and the UDS for chicken. Brisket and pork goes on early enough to allow for about 4.5 hours of sleep before I wake to put the ribs on.

Also, Deguello BBQ is a one man operation and he gets GCs, RGCs, and numerous calls.

Check out parrothead, John is a one man show and he got an automatic for the Jack with more than 7 GC's this year alone. It can be and it is done more than you might expect.
He just won the Xenia Ohio contest today. Last time I saw him was in Kettering and he won that one too. I think he should pay my entry fees as a guarantee of good luck. :mrgreen:

I heard Rub uses two microwaves and a crockpot?? JK buddy. Not sure about the rest of the nation but I have seen plenty of teams here in FL that do it with great success. Not being a comp guy I dong know how the heck they do it but hopefully after taking RUB's class next week it will all make sense.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
So sounds like if you want to go solo better with a cabinet or gravity-fed smoker and maybe a UDS or two? Really want a stick burner as I'll be doing far more cooking at home but something to think about.

my first competition I did myself and actually did better in results than my second one with a team. The results weren't due to my team but I did fair.

Many of my comps are just me. I have used both gravity fed and currently a stick burner. Go to bed early and then a couple power naps in the early morning. Works out fine. The bigger challenge is the drive home without someone to share the driving duties...especially when 8-18 hours from home.

Hey just a quick question -

Is it possible for just a one-man "team" to realistically be able to compete in local BBQ competitions? Meaning, just myself? I'm not talking about the American Royal or some of the other very big competitions, just smaller, local ones with maybe less than 50 teams (yet still "official" KCBS).

Having caught the bug over the last two months I'm thinking about a nice stick burner (or something else) but one of the factors that enters into that equation is potentially using the cooker to compete, meaning I might need a somewhat bigger cooker than what I'd typically just use at home or for church-related entertainment, for example. Like a Lang 48 vs. a 60, etc.

I did it one time when Rich had to work. I used a bullet smoker and a weber, one table and one chair, (no tent) and had my 4 little kids running around me. It was a contest of 50 teams. I did pretty good.

I usually cook alone. It definitely can be done. It's more work... but you don't have to split the winnings either! I will sometimes have a box runner Sat AM which helps a lot.

GO FOR IT!
Nordy

well i saw BK BBQ do it and win a grand turn around same day drive 150 miles enter another and win gc at that one copmletly by himself
he left before the awards by the way
true story

I've done it before. I don't think my results really suffered but the amount of extra work didn't make it very fun. I personally don't want to make a habit of it.

Yep...lots of folks do...and do well! :cool: Me?...not gonna happen unless Rhana kicks the bucket...then I'm moving to So-Cal to live with Steph! :twitch:

I do it all the time, probably half of the contests I did this year were solo. The other half my wife comes with me and she is my box runner. Someone else added to the mix at this point would be in my way more than they would be a help.

I use Yoder pellet cookers and get plenty of sleep.

Back