• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pizza Making Video, This is how it's done

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Watch the masters and see how its done. To scale down the dough recipe is easy weigh your flour and then multiply by the following percentages. Water 69%, Salt 2.2% Yeast .54% Thats all, no oil, or sugar, potato flakes, no Nada!

If using a KitchenAide stand mixer note that the yeast and the water go first, I add 20% of the flour and mix with the water and yeast at a medium setting, for about 3 minutes and then let it rest. This will activate the yeast. Restaurant Depo has fresh yeast, it works wonders for your flavor profile. The result should be foamy and bubbled, if not the yeast is no good. STOP and start anew with good yeast!

This video will show you how to make the dough balls properly, which is very important to follow because it stretches the gluten fibers and that is what makes the crust spring in the oven/kettle/kamado etc. Steam in the first seconds, if you can produce it, will also give your crust a nice warm color, (Think French Bread)

Pay attention to the beginning of the video where they are stretching the dough for the individual pie, this is key. Also notice how soft the dough is. It is for this reason that the dough is slapped and the air is forced from the middle of the dough ball out to the edges for a nice bubbly crust when finished. This pies are not spun or tossed and don't use a rolling pin if you want a nice crust. Practice makes perfect.

Enjoy the show.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvbYcABI2IA"]Neapolitan Pizza Making with the Masters! Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

The Slap and Cook
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEVCrqbfRJ4"]Neapolitan Pizza Making with the Masters! Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks Jed, they are really good vid's. :thumb:
Coming from a guy that had his own rolling WFO, that's how it's done!
NO excuses in the next Pizza TD.:shocked:
Now go make some dough!

Awesome stuff! I have been using Caputo Tipo "00" for about 2 years now. I have NEVER had my dough come out THAT soft, OMG. Must be my water then...
Thanks for sharing.

Awesome stuff! I have been using Caputo Tipo "00" for about 2 years now. I have NEVER had my dough come out THAT soft, OMG. Must be my water then...
Thanks for sharing.
check your percentages. You want 70% Hydration especially in So Cal.

Thanks for sharing.
In the SF Bay Area, I get a similar dough to that, most certainly use that flour. I run a 65% to 70% hydration in the summer, sometimes pushing 80%, but, then it is very soft.

Hydration refers to the amount of water, relative to the amount of flour, and this must be done by weight. I prefer grams for bread. Of course, any weight measure will work, as long as you are talking weights. Soooo, if you start with 500 grams of flour, then you want 500gms of flour x .70=350 grams of water. Ounces would be similar.

Hydration refers to the amount of water, relative to the amount of flour, and this must be done by weight. I prefer grams for bread. Of course, any weight measure will work, as long as you are talking weights. Soooo, if you start with 500 grams of flour, then you want 500gms of flour x .70=350 grams of water. Ounces would be similar.

Thanks dude. I will definitely check this out. So when you Say 70%, I assume you are basing that on our dry climate? We really have more lower humidity where I live in SD - about 15 miles from the ocean. It is almost desert like.

Ok I just re read the posts. Copy that.... Oh boy I get to buy a scale!

There are several issues, but, yes, a drier climate requires more liquid, also, as you knead the dough, you will lose some hydration as well. I prefer a soft dough, as it is easy to work, I do not do a direct rise, I prefer a cold rise, and less kneading, letting the refrigerator do some of my work for me. This allows for a little more water initially, and less loss during handling and rises. It also protects against loss to evaporation, which is a problem where you are.

There are several issues, but, yes, a drier climate requires more liquid, also, as you knead the dough, you will lose some hydration as well. I prefer a soft dough, as it is easy to work, I do not do a direct rise, I prefer a cold rise, and less kneading, letting the refrigerator do some of my work for me. This allows for a little more water initially, and less loss during handling and rises. It also protects against loss to evaporation, which is a problem where you are.
I prefer the refrigeration method as well. In retarding the fermentation, I feel that I get a much more robust flavor from the yeast. I sometimes hold it in the fridge for up to a week.

I prefer the refrigeration method as well. In retarding the fermentation, I feel that I get a much more robust flavor from the yeast. I sometimes hold it in the fridge for up to a week.

Great info from both of you. I do a cold rise also so I can have it ready before Friday, Pizza night. I also use a Kitchenaid mixer on #1 until the dough begins to form a ball. I am not sure if even this is over kneading....I also use Purified water from the Brita® pitcher...... saw a top rated pizza place in SD on DDD and they use Arrowhead water. The city water is undrinkable and treated with fluoride.

I do not use a mixer, I do it by hand. If I had one of those cool dough fork ones, then I would use a machine, but, that is never going to happen. I prefer to feel the dough, gives me a sense of the texture.

Back