• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First cook on BWS Extended Party, need advice

Longo1908

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Sunday I unveiled my brand new BWS Extended party and although the ribs looked nice, they had a bit too much smoke. For those of you who have one how much wood do you use and what size( how do you guys arrange it in the firebox) ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 213
67D327FE-CF89-43F0-A09F-8C881A234DEC-191-0000000A219C3A4B_zps0a72f651.jpg

6 chunks. I light the front right corner and the guru is on the rear left. Seems to be working fine

That's about what I do. I don't have an extended Party so I'm using 4 chunks. It seems like it would work out about the same.

Why do you light the corner away from the Guru???

I use 6 chunks and move the smoke stack cover over half way.

about the same as what I do but since th ewood chunks i use are larger than that I use probably 3-4
one difference is I dont use Kingsford briquettes. Strictly lump charcoal (Royal Oak normally)

Why do you light the corner away from the Guru???

I use 6 chunks and move the smoke stack cover over half way.

Because of how the door opens, it made more send to have my guru on the left side. I run dry and my first couple cooks I was way hotter in the back of the g2 than the front. I tried lighting the front opposite corner and my heat balanced much better. Seems to work just fine.

Because of how the door opens, it made more send to have my guru on the left side.
I run dry and my first couple cooks I was way hotter in the back of the g2 than the front. I tried lighting the front opposite corner and my heat balanced much better. Seems to work just fine.

Thanks for sharing that. I have my Guru on the right and I light the left front.

That pic was great, thanks. But how are you lighting the bed of charcoal? Are you using a starter and dumping them on top of the bed? Also has anyone tried lighting the back and letting the fire burn forward?

I'm using 2 weber cubes in the ash pan under the front corner prob 3" in from the corner. I think 1 cube works just as well

Nope, but the cube should be burned out long before you put the meat it. I let the starter cube burn with the fire box door open and then close it and let the Party come up to temp before putting the meat in.

Do the cubes impart any flavor on the meat negatively like lighter fluid?

Nada, flavor imparted. I light the back left corner by the Stoker. I use cubes, chimney or a weed burner. 4-6 chunks depending on chunk size, cook times, meats, etc. Bigger meats get six.

Know of several cooks that use 3-4 chunks which are only 1-1/2" square in a Backwoods Fatboys for duration of cook

Attachments

• category29.jpg
    category29.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 128
Last time I cooked a brisket I just raked the lit coals over to the side towards my Guru fan (right side) then poured unlit charcoal on the left side. I then lifted up the front end of the charcoal basket and scooped out some of the ash.

Don’t know if there is a better way but it was easy enough for me and my pit temp did not drop.

As long as its not snowing Ill try this out over the weekend and let everyone know how I make out. Thanks

Back