• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

29th Q: The PERFECT Pork Part 2 - Two Lemon Peppered Twined Pork Shoulder Roasts H&F 5H30 [w/ pr0n]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Last week's breakthrough had to be recreated, so here we go with another two pork shoulder roasts without bone without speck at a total weight of 15.34 lbs.

01_pork_shoulder_roasts_15_34_lbs.jpg

Firing up a full charcoal ring with lemon lump and six small buried apple wood pieces Minion style by dumping a full chimney on top. That fire marked a new record, bring the grate temp up to a maximum of 405°F, which never happened before.

02_minion.jpg

Both pork shoulder roasts remained untrimmed, were well rubbed with my self-made lemon pepper, and put on the upper grate of my WSM with a new batch of our 'Essence of Q' sauce.

03_pork_and_sauce_on.jpg

The last picture of my pavilion before the roof collapsed under the weight of more snow.

04_overview.jpg

Ready for foiling in apple juice after hitting IT 165°F at about 3 hours 30 minutes in.

05_pork_ready_for_foiling_after_3h30.jpg

The pork was pulled after hitting IT 203°F at about 5 hours and 30 minutes and put in the cooler for resting. Here comes the unfoiling for recrisping in the oven:

06_pork_unfoiled.jpg

07_pork_unfoiled.jpg

Resulting in two beautiful crispy & juicy pork shoulder roasts, and AGAIN the best pork we ever had!

08_pork_recrisped.jpg

09_pork_recrisped.jpg

10_pork_recrisped.jpg

11_pork_closeup.jpg

12_pork_closeup.jpg

13_pork_closeup.jpg

14_pork_closeup.jpg

15_pork_closeup.jpg

And the very best pulled pork sandwiches one can imagine:

16_pulled_pork_sandwiches.jpg

17_pulled_pork_sandwich.jpg

To be honest, the exact rating for these pulled pork sandwiches looked as follows (on a scale of 10):

• pulled pork: 10 points (it had it all, the smokiness, juiciness, crispiness, spiciness and hotness, with a distinct touch of lemoness)
  • sauce: 10 points (really nice reduction, and a real flavor bomb; would most likely help the worst pork to win an award)
  • self-made pita bread: 10 points (it's just THE perfect bread for making pulled pork sandwiches)
  • yogurt based coleslaw without mayonnaise: 8 points (two points less because made with normal yogurt instead of the Greek style one with 10% fat, since someone forgot to buy the Greek style yogurt :mmph:)
A look at our 'Essence of Q' sauce, which got really viscid with a very nice tough of smokiness.

18_essence_of_q_sauce.jpg

This is as good as pork can get, there is no doubt about it! The smell of the lemon peppered pork goodness can drive you insane, it is such an amazing distinct flavor. H&F is definitely the way to go, but of course temp is relative, and peaks of up to 405°F did not turn out to be bad at all.

Next up would be to try the used procedure on brisket, to finally get the perfect beef as well, since I always had the problem of drying it out so far, but that depends on the weather on the next weekend due to my pavilion being kaput now.

Man I can't wait to see you do a brisket with your lemon peppered rub. I'm bustin out the UDS this weekend to do one of your lemon pepperEd pork butts.

Looks great! Your last several cooks of the pulled pork have looked awesome. I do dig the greek yogurt slaw you make. I am not a big mayo fan and have used greek yogurt as a substitute for a while now. I like the creaminess and tanginess the greek yogurt provides without the kind of oily/greasy feel of mayo.

Back