Little Dick's fridge/freezer choice

L

LittleDick'sBBQ

Greetings,

In addition to the kitchen refrigerator, I have an el cheapo apartment-size fridge that has finally got plum tuckered out. Should I replace it with another fridge or an apartment-size freezer?

Thanks,
Little Dick's

I think it appropriately enough comes down to all a matter of size. Do you have the space to put a full-fledged fridge or do you find yourself lacking in the ability to fulfill such a fortitudionous fabulous fit?

I think it appropriately enough comes down to all a matter of size. Do you have the space to put a full-fledged fridge or do you find yourself lacking in the ability to fulfill such a fortitudionous fabulous fit?

Only enough for an apartment-size appliance; it is built into an alcove.

Little Dick

So...no opinions on a freezer vs. a refrigerator?

Little Dick

First off, which do you need??

There are power cord controllers that are pretty cheap that control temps to just a couple of degrees. Nice thing is, if you put them on a freezer, you can keep the temps at refrig level or back to freezer level if you want.
Makes the unit dual purpose. Pretty cool (pun intended :grin:) IMHO

And, normally, freezers are better insulated than refrigs, so they may be more efficient and cheaper to operate.

Just a thought!

TIM

I would not recommend a power cord controller on such an important device. If a freezer was ment to be dual purpose it would have come that way. I've seen many bad things come out of appliances being run incorrectly. I'd hate to see you ruin a freezer and lose all your food on top of it. I've been there with a 7cu' freezer.

All comes down to what kind of storage space do you need the most. I have a nice sized fridge, but sometimes wish I had a small freezer just to capitalize on food sales.

I would not recommend a power cord controller on such an important device. If a freezer was ment to be dual purpose it would have come that way. I've seen many bad things come out of appliances being run incorrectly. I'd hate to see you ruin a freezer and lose all your food on top of it. I've been there with a 7cu' freezer.

Interesting.
Last year I was designing a new comp trailer and researched these controllers extensively. Something I always do.

Never saw such a finding anywhere. The info I found was that they work great and do no harm to anything, assuming it is a quality controller of course.

May I ask the source or basis of your point so I can rethink my plans?

Thanks,

TIM

A friend of mine works at a hostel here in georgia, and one of their philosophies is to be as "green" as possible. One of the things they did was convert chest type freezers into refrigerators pretty much identically to the setup mentioned above. I dont remember the amount of energy savings but it was pretty substantial and the setup worked great. I'll see if I can hunt down the blog post he wrote about it.

Edit: here's the link, that includes a link to purchase the thermostat controlled power cord: http://www.foresthostel.com/alternative-energy

Back