• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
OK, Have been thinking if burning it or sanding it by hand, but by hand will be hard to reach the bottom of the drum I think so probably will try to burn it tomorrow.

I have a lid from my old Weber grill which is almost intact, If I decide to use the Weber lid I will have to remove the border lip to fit it properly.

I have heard to burn from the outside with weedburner till the inside basicly ashes up. Then grind with wire wheel. But how ever you do it. Wear a MASK!!!

If you grind the lip on the barrel thiner the lid will fit the barrel.

Good luck keep us posted
That is a nice lookin basket

Not trying to be bossy here but closing your exhaust leaves you vulnerable to stale smoke or sooty smoke. Usually the rule of thumb is you run your exhaust wide open and control temp with your intake or fresh air...:thumb:
Good luck..

Also starting your UDS should be done "gingerly" try using about 12-16 lit briquettes instead of a whole chimney....! then coax her up to temp instead of trying to snuff her out... Much easier this way...

Hey razrbackcrzy, thanks for the feedback. So how do you suggest I run it with a lid with a 2 1/2" bung? On the second point, I figured out by my post above that I was putting too many coals in to start with. On another note, the drum settled in last night and ran for 16 hours steady between 235-250. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the loo and checked it and it was down to 210 so I kicked a few times and when I woke up it was at 235 right on target. I had the bung open half way with 1.5 intakes open. Next time for sure I'm shooting for half a chimney, maybe running with the bung all the way open?
DSC02919.jpg

thanks,

sparky

I have a lid from my old Weber grill which is almost intact, not sure if this kind of lid is better than the original flat lid of the drum or visceversa. If I decide to use the Weber lid I will have to remove the border lip to fit it properly.
M.

Good to have both lids...Weber for large birds, etc. Also Mauricio, you can tap the ring around the Weber lid with a hammer and piece of wood so that it gently tweaks it out to fit the drum. I read and saw some pics somewhere but I don't have the reference handy right now.
I'm going to do this to my Weber lid that I'm desperately searching for right now.

El Salvador...all right! Had a layover there once but didn't get to stay very long.

Cheers

I think I have located some free barrels in excellent shape, but I am not sure if I should use them. The barrels have contained "Water Miscible Blanket & Roller Wash." Specs can be viewed here (N-282): http://www.novapressroom.com/products.cfm#N-200 Medium Dry Series

I found another thread from here on the forums from about 6 months ago regarding this, but there doesn't seem to be anybody responding on that thread that knows definitively whether the barrel would be safe or not after a good burnout.

What do you guys think?

I think I have located some free barrels in excellent shape, but I am not sure if I should use them. The barrels have contained "Water Miscible Blanket & Roller Wash." Specs can be viewed here (N-282): http://www.novapressroom.com/products.cfm#N-200 Medium Dry Series

What do you guys think?
Looks like products used for printing presses? Not sure how to go about it. When in doubt, throw it out. I wouldn't risk it. I'd really try to find a reconditioned drum. they are like new. The send those things through a 3000 degree kiln to burn them off. A little more money @ around $60 bucks but well worth the time, energy saved and peace of mind.

Sparky

Does a sandblasted barrel need a burnout too?

I'm trying to finish my first UDS and I've had a barrel sandblasted.
Do I need to burn it out prior to painting the outside and finishing it?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey razrbackcrzy, thanks for the feedback. So how do you suggest I run it with a lid with a 2 1/2" bung? On the second point, I figured out by my post above that I was putting too many coals in to start with. On another note, the drum settled in last night and ran for 16 hours steady between 235-250. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the loo and checked it and it was down to 210 so I kicked a few times and when I woke up it was at 235 right on target. I had the bung open half way with 1.5 intakes open. Next time for sure I'm shooting for half a chimney, maybe running with the bung all the way open?
View attachment 69827

thanks,

sparky

Try getting a 4-6" piece of PVC that will screw in that bung with a cap and see if that will hellp your issue...See Image...if that dosn't fix it in the second photo you can see a ball valve installed on the front air intake and that will let you close your intake down a little bit to help control you heat...Good luck....

Attachments

• photo2a.jpg
    photo2a.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 612
  • Auber_uds_action.jpg
    Auber_uds_action.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 614
While there is a chance the bottom might get hot, I don't worry it. Hot air is lighter than cool air, so it rises. The intake air is colder and heavier, so it will continually cool the bottom. Even w/o an elevated ash pan (which shields the bottom from direct radiant heat), I doubt the bottom would get as warm as the walls - and they are rarely more than warm to the touch.

The two inch bung should be completely open. Don't close it up. You need that to exhaust stale smoke and to create a good draft to pull in air in th bottom. Never use the exhaust to regulate temps.

Yeah, wood furniture dolly should be just fine temporarily until I get the real deal. It is just the bottom lip that sits on the wood. My coals actually sit up about 4" above the drum floor anyway. This is my basket - it is one solid mother and heavy too.

View attachment 69792

Doing another test burn in my UDS as I write this to get a better feel. gonna let it burn over night. The first one I did not have a suitable temp. gauge and I had a hard time dialing in the temp. Kind of started off to a rocky start tonight too. Temps shot to 355 and held. I tried backing down to 225 and finally got it there an hour and 15 min. later. Now at 235 and cruising. The main problem I'm for sure I was having was pouring a WHOLE chimney of flaming hot coals on top of the coals in fire basket. So temps immediately were too hot at around 355. Harder to get under control on the downswing then adjusting upwards. She wants to really run with the 2 1/4" bung all the way open so I have her dialed in right now with the bung open about 1" open and only one 3/4" intake open.

What about your's Jethro...how does she like to cruise?

Sparky

Shouldn't really ever have to worry about the bottom getting hot. I've sat my smoker on ice in the winter before and it didn't even melt it.

Four hours into the dry run ... smoker is very touchy between 225* and 250* ... Lid seals good and can't see any visible intake leaks ... 1 vent open and ball valve 1/2 to 1/4 = 250, 1 vent open valve closed 225*. Right now another adjustment vent open and ball valve barely open (1/8 ) ... sure would like to get to 235* to 240*.

Try getting a 4-6" piece of PVC that will screw in that bung with a cap and see if that will hellp your issue...See Image...if that dosn't fix it in the second photo you can see a ball valve installed on the front air intake and that will let you close your intake down a little bit to help control you heat...Good luck....

Hmm...not sure I know what you mean. Why would I want to put a stack on it with a cap. Putting a cap on it is still closing it up. From what I've read from some of the early Pioneers in this thread, using a stack really is just for aesthetics and offers no improvement on air flow. I already have a ball valve on one of the 3/4" intakes. Honestly, I think it is just a matter of starting with way less pre-burned coals to start. Then I should be able to leave the exhaust open more. Going to try on my next cook.
uglydrumsmoker9.jpg

My design is pretty much as simple as they get and I have not tried to reinvent the wheel here. I appreciate the feedback Razr.

Sparky

Sparky

The two inch bung should be completely open. Don't close it up. You need that to exhaust stale smoke and to create a good draft to pull in air in th bottom. Never use the exhaust to regulate temps.
That's what I'm shootin' for on next smoke Moda.

thanks,

Sparky

Your UDS Design

Four hours into the dry run ... smoker is very touchy between 225* and 250* ... Lid seals good and can't see any visible intake leaks ... 1 vent open and ball valve 1/2 to 1/4 = 250, 1 vent open valve closed 225*. Right now another adjustment vent open and ball valve barely open (1/8 ) ... sure would like to get to 235* to 240*.

Hey Peddler...how's it going? Can you remind me of your UDS design again? Also, what was the method of starting the fire today? Minion? Weed burner? How many coals lit etc?

Are you holding your desired temp and with what open?

Sparky

OK .. started with the minion method about 10 coals ... flat lid w/8 exhaust vents.

Once I find the sweet spot on the ball valve ... holding between 225 and 250. I guess I'm a little anal as I would like to get more precise at 235 to 240. A 25 degree spread isn't really that big of a deal. So far so good.

BTW a 2" stack is .4 of a square inch larger than 8 - 1/2 in holes, better exhaust. Do all your control with the INLETS and leave the EXHAUST open.

BTW a 2" stack is .4 of a square inch larger than 8 - 1/2 in holes, better exhaust. Do all your control with the INLETS and leave the EXHAUST open.

It is actually a 2 1/2" diameter bung. I'm no mathmetician (spelling) but 8 - 1/2" holes gives you 4" of exhaust whereas one 2 1/2" gives you, well, 2 1/2" of exhaust. right? Are you suggesting to actually use a riser?

Sparky

NO !!!

Use your 1/2 holes and leave them all open ... :sad:

Stop yelling at me :wink: I don't have any 1/2" holes. As I said, I just have a 2 1/2" as an exhaust and three 3/4" intakes drilled 2" above the bottom of the drum.

Sparky

Has anyone ever made a step by step guide with pictures or a video for uds creation?

There is just so much info here its totally overwhelming and I'm unsure where to even start..... I'm not especially handy when it comes to diy.

I'm hoping someone with some experience will have made something they can share.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Back