My first brisket packer

King

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got so lucky the way this brisket turned out. Fortunately, I also had some great advice from a friend who got called for 3rd in brisket at the 2011 AR.

My first brisket packer was 14lbs and untrimmed. A simple mustard/chili powder slather helped the John Henry pecan butter rub adhere to the packer surface. The brisket chilled for 24 hours before moving to the smoke. An amazing 17 hour marathon commneced before the bark oozed meat juices. Once the meat felt like a tender product, the brisket rested before slicing into moist strips of beef.

View attachment 60858

View attachment 60859

View attachment 60860

View attachment 60861

View attachment 60862

I've done 2 flats in the past that wasn't near the tenderness or moistness of a whole packer. I'm looking forward to do more in order to achieve a competition worthy brisket.

Last edited:
Very nice the whole packer is a lot different than just the flat! Looks great I'll take a Sammy please!

Wow, that looks like you nailed it. Congrats on your first packer. :clap:

I have yet to attempt one yet - but it certainly looks like my efforts will be rewarded (if I get it right.) :grin:

Chile powder is one of the layers I like to add from time to time. I like the color(bark) it adds. Arthur, you nailed it!! That brisket looks fantastic! You know I'd hit that! Killer SR too!

Bob

Looks like you've done that a whole lot more than once. Very nice looking brisket!

Chile powder is one of the layers I like to add from time to time. I like the color(bark) it adds. Arthur, you nailed it!! That brisket looks fantastic! You know I'd hit that! Killer SR too!

Bob

I wasn't going to mention the chile powder because I thought I had a secret ingredient, but I decided against it because I want the Brethren to know too. Since you use chile powder...I guess it's not much of a secret ingredient after all.

Thanks!

I wasn't going to mention the chili powder because I thought I had a secret ingredient, but I decided against it because I want the Brethren to know too. Since you use chili powder...I guess it's not much of a secret ingredient after all.

Thanks!

I'm always trying to find ways to layer in some heat into brisket. I hit it with some Kosher salt, let the salt draw out some moisture then alternate garlic, onion, black pepper, chile powder(a secret between you and me.....chipotle powder is my go to!) and let them turn into a thick paste/layer. DON'T TELL THE OTHER BRETHREN AND SISTREN!!:tape: I'll bet that JH Pecan tied all the flavors together!

Back