First pizza on the Red Sky pizza stone, Help!

ymmiT

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just used my stone for the first time. Didn't have time to make dough so I used the Pillsbury stuff. Lit a chimney of Kingsford blue and spread evenly and preheated the stone for 10 min as their website says. Forgot the sprinkle of cornmeal on the stone before placing pizza there. Less than 10 minutes later the toppings looked almost done but the crust was burnt badly. Tried a couple bites and threw it away.:mad:

Trying again tomorrow, but will make my own dough this time. How can I get a something edible?

I would absolutely make my own dough, and IMHO, the cornmeal is a must. They tell you to heat the stone for only 10 minutes? Surprising. I would have thought they'd tell you to put the stone at the beginning and get it up to temp with the smoker.

The website video says preheating should take 10-15 min. My coals were red hot when I dumped em in and spread em out in a single even layer. Was I too hot?

Sent from my 3vo using Tapatalk

I've been cooking my pizza at about 550*, so far. I could go higher on my smoker, and probably will next time out. But I don't have the Red Sky stone. There's a lot of people on here who do. C'mon guys. Who's got the Red Sky stone here. Speak up!!

Assuming that you are using it on a Weber, the key is to bank the coals on one side of the grill. Then place the stone where the opening is over the coals. Also, place the vent on the opposite side of the Red Sky opening. That way the heat comes up through the opening and over the top of the pizza.

Assuming that you are using it on a Weber, the key is to bank the coals on one side of the grill. Then place the stone where the opening is over the coals. Also, place the vent on the opposite side of the Red Sky opening. That way the heat comes up through the opening and over the top of the pizza.

So the stone is not directly over the coals?

I suffered from that burn problem when I first got my Egg, I think it was Ross in Ventura that suggested to use parchment paper during the first half of the cook and then remove it (it just slides out) during the final minutes to brown the crust. I'm not a fan of corn meal, feel, taste, etc. when used for pizza. Once you get making dough down it's really easy, practice.

They are correct about not building your fire under the stone, the stone will absorb enough heat from an indirect fire.

Thanks fellas. I'll try again tonight with coals under the stone opening.

The cornmeal (I recommend semolina flour instead) is there to help slide the pizza. As others have mentioned, you need to get more heat over the top of the pizza to cook the toppings in the same amount of time as the crust. Personally, I have my own pizza cooker that cooks a little different from just on a kettle but it is somewhat similar. My biggest challenge has been getting even stone temps. Usually the stone is really hot at the "back" while the "front" is much colder. This usually requires me to rotate the pizza a couple times. Also, keep in mind that parchment paper can work but it will burn if you have a hot enough fire.

Back