• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Japanese style grilled mussels.

GARNAAL

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]here a recipe I piced up from the web somewhere..[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]makes a nice snack when you're having cocktails.. [/FONT]I stick them on the BBQ... while sittng outside with a sip!
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](the original recipe calls for putting them on a baking dish under the broiler..)[/FONT]

HPIM0931_640x480.JPG

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Japanese Style Grilled Mussels[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the dressing recipe is for about a dozen Mussels.. make more if you do a whole 2 lbs box of Greenlipped mussels..:-D
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dressing:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
1/2 tsp lemon zest, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 1/2 tsp wasabi prepared
2 tsp white sugar
1 whole green onion, sliced fine
3/4 c mayonnaise
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 or 2 finely chopped green onions
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Toppings:
Panko, and optionally Tobiko
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tobiko is flying fish roe, found in Asian markets.[/FONT][/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Ingredients are for about a dozen New Zealand Greenlipped, or two dozen Black Mussels.
If using fresh: quickly saute in a hot pan with a touch of oil until they pop open. Remove from pan.
Pull meat from mussels, slice into three pieces and place back into mussel half.
( I just pull the mussles and don't bother to cut them in pieces..)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Arrange in a large baking pan, broiler safe.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
For dressing combine all ingredients.
Place about a tablespoon of dressing over mussel half. Sprinkle with a little Panko.

Broil or grill on the hot BBQ until bubbly and lightly browned.
Remove from baking pan and top with green onion and optionally with some Tobiko.

[/FONT]

Oh, WOW- thank you so much! Those look great! My oldest boy loves mussels from the Chinese buffet, but this sounds even tastier. Question, though- do you skip the panko? Or were the little guys in the photo just off of the smoke?

I've had the mussels broiled on the half shell with butter and some kind of melted cheese in a few Chinese restaurants and they were good. Always wanted to make them, but didn't know what kind of cheese to use.

Yours look outstanding though!

Looks so good Garnaal... Thank you for sharing your recipe! I hope to try it soon.

Love some mussels!! Especially steamed and tossed with some marinara over pasta! Yum! Thanks for the recipe!

Oh, WOW- thank you so much! Those look great! My oldest boy loves mussels from the Chinese buffet, but this sounds even tastier. Question, though- do you skip the panko? Or were the little guys in the photo just off of the smoke?

no I did not skip the panko.. it kind of settles in, when the dressing starts bubbling..

I've had the mussels broiled on the half shell with butter and some kind of melted cheese in a few Chinese restaurants and they were good. Always wanted to make them, but didn't know what kind of cheese to use.

Yours look outstanding though!

I don't think they use Cheese - it's a mayo based sauce they put on the mussels - after baking them, the consistency feels like it's a melted cheese..

Back