Help Needed

FyrPit

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Just did my first comp. I currently use Big Green Egg's. But looking for some suggestions on additional pit ideas. Any help or suggestions would be great.
On the fence about buying another egg. But, think there is a wealth of knowledge here to maybe push me in another direction.

Wow. I can't imagine transporting a BGE back and forth to comps. :shock:

A Webber WSM or UDS would be most similar to what you're use to using and be a lot easier to transport, especially the WSM. A lot of teams use WSMs for comps. Lots of options though, depends on your budget and what you're looking for.

Price range? Off set, cabinet, bullet/egg, pellet?

Lotta variables

What about a backwoods fatboy

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Wow. I can't imagine transporting a BGE back and forth to comps. :shock:

A Webber WSM or UDS would be most similar to what you're use to using and be a lot easier to transport, especially the WSM. A lot of teams use WSMs for comps. Lots of options though, depends on your budget and what you're looking for.

I know a coupla teams that use more than one.

Wow I just got an egg and damn it would be a pain to move to a competition :p. I don't have the nest, but might get one and try to bring it.

But like most have asked a few details would help to make suggestions. What price range and style of smoker?

We compete on a TnT Southern Smoker (like stumps) and a WSM. We have run on 2 WSM's and that is great. Very easy to transport. Out setup now is great because the TnT can hold a lot of food and we could get it all in there, but having the 2nd smoker (WSM) to run at a higher temp for chicken and anything that may be running behind on cook time :p.

At our last few competition we saw a bunch of teams running on 2 or 3 eggs.

Have you considered a Big Steel Keg? Much lighter and more durable than a ceramic cooker.
I one of each, BSK is cheaper in cost even though they are made in BaChina.
We ran mine over 50 hours last week using an Auber BGE blower setup. Used less than 4 pounds of lump charcoal.
Will try and post my story tomorrow if time permits.

My first thought is do you want a smoker or a grill? There is lots of good equipment out there but I don't think one size fits all. Maybe time to specialize.

Depends upon budget and how you like to cook. On the lower price end there are WSM cookers that are used very effectively by many. There are Backwoods that are in the middle of the price range and Jambo Pits at the upper end. The Jambos are stick burners where you stay up and feed them but they are top of the line competition pits. The WSM and Backwoods can be used with Gurus so you can get more sleep. Look at those three.

Try out the Kamado Joe and save a couple hundred bucks. I love mine. That being said, I don't mind moving mine to comps, just get some ove gloves and take out the insides, gently set them down and you should be able to life the eggs by yourself easily. I am not sure what the new Kamado Joe XL is going to weigh but I may have a tough time moving that one around and up into my truck. Time for a trailer with a ramp.

I compete with 4 WSMs.
Could get by with three, but I have 4 so I use 4.

Get a well insulated smoker, preferably gravity fed, and use an ATC. You should spend your time on something other than adding charcoal and wood all night.

Thanks for responding.
Would love to have a Jambo.. But, that is way to much money
Willing to spend a couple of grand to make a good addition to my team.

Back