Side categories at cookoff (sauce and margaritas)

Homebrewed Q

Take a breath!
Reaction score
We are entering a couple of side categories at our next cookoff. They are homemade bbq sauce and margaritas. They can both be prepared off site. We were wondering if the sauce should be turned in room temp or warm/hot. The margarita category is "on the rocks". The turn in will be in a 16 oz styrofoam cup. Our question here is since it is on the rocks and may be sitting for a while before judging should we just mix it with ice then strain before putting it the turn in cup so that it doesn't get watered down? Just wondering if any of you have entered these categories before and if you have any advice.
Thanks in advance!!

Why not make it a little stronger expecting a bit of dilution from the ice ? If the category is "on the rocks" I would definitely include some ice. Just my $.02.

Yep, use ice. Too warm in TX, and how can it be "on the rocks" without ice?

The issue I see with ice is that the watering down occurs at the top of the drink first, which can really change the profile of the drink. Unless the judge stirs it, you will get a muted taste.

Here's an old bar-tending trick...

Try making ice cubes using your mix (without the alcohol). That will leave a lot of flavor up top as the cubes melt.

I don't know what the rules are but that technique has served us well in warm climates.

Actually, because of the mixture of alcohol and other ingredients, the proof of the final mix may be low enough to just freeze into cubes and add to the same unfrozen mixture (make it slushy to start with) at the contest. 10 to 15 proof (5 to 7.5 percent alcohol by volumn) will freeze in your freezer in a day and can be transported and kept with dry ice. Try it, the only BAD thing is, you will have to drink it if it does not work. :heh:

Hmmm... So far all of the answers have focused on margaritas. Coincidence? :-D

For sauce, turn it in at the temp that the sauce tastes best. Yeah, I know that's a wishy-washy answer, but some sauces taste better cold. I prefer warm, and that's what we usually turn in, but our best sauce finish so far is 4th place, so i may not be the best person to ask.

Margaritas, mix ahead of time and refrigerated, fresh ice turned in as late as possible
to reduce the melting.

We usually warm the sauce fairly warm, almost hot, but not piping hot.

Where is this contest. I think I might like to judge the margarita section.:biggrin1:

Back