The start of something beautiful???

AUradar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
or another failed experiment?

Ribeye roast, seasoned with kosher salt, pepper, garlic/onion power, and papirka. Wrapped in a bacon weave. onions, mushrooms, and bit of brown sugar in the pan. Put in UDS at about 275. See what happens

sorry, didn't get a pre-weave pic. the rib-eye looked delicious though

Attachments

• IMG_3415.jpg
    IMG_3415.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 165
I agree about the mushrooms, too long for them. The onions should do very nicely though. sounds good to me! Maybe next time just make up some onions towards the end and add them then?

Yeah - I am thinking something beautiful
I agree that the mushrooms won't survive, but I bet they will add to the flavor.

The bacon will block much smoke getting to the roast and the crust will be nill, but hey, its still a ribeye! :thumb:

I would not worry about the mushrooms, if they are over cooked, as long as they do not burn, you can blend them up into a nice puree with the onions, make a roux and you will have a killer gravy.

okay, been on for over an hour and interal temp is barely 90??? I took it out of the pan, maybe blocking the heat

I orginally was going to do a prime rib, but the meat man was out. So thats why I'm trying the rib eye roast.

we'll see. Probably should have just done steaks.

Patience is a virtue, especially in BBQ. You had a good start, you should have left well enough alone. 90 internal after an hour or so sounds about right..."should have just done steaks"? Yikes!!!

Well, I've never thought of ribeye (rib roast, actually) as a meat that needs more fat. So, that roast may be mighty tasty, but could possibly put you in the hospital. :shocked:

And, those shrooms are going to soak up fat like a sponge -- and overcook.

If it were me, I'd do the rib roast by itself, and towards the end of the smoke, render the bacon and onions down in a pan and then saute the shrooms in the bacon fat. Sprinkle some bacon bits and onions in with the sauteed shrooms.

Or, be adventurous and do it as planned. Let us know how it turns out!

CD

okay, sorry no post pics. we had company and didn't get a chance. Bacon didn't do much I don't think. I (or actually the wife) pulled the roast at 135 expecting a 10 degree rise. I told her to pull at 140, but oh well. After slicing the meat was very rare. So I put back on the grill as steaks and cooked somemore.

the steaks ended up being very good, even after going back on the grill. I might try the rib roast again and cook longer. Don't really know how to decide on this experiment.

I do want to do this with the prime rib though.

the pan ended up being a problem. It was a large pan and I think it was blocking alot of heat. when I pulled it off my UDS temp spiked and the cooking really started.

Hey BBQ is always a fun experiment. You ate, so no problem! Sounded interesting, but I'm with most of the rest, I would have done the bacon and veges separate.

Bacon didn't do much I don't think. I (or actually the wife) pulled the roast at 135 expecting a 10 degree rise. I told her to pull at 140, but oh well. After slicing the meat was very rare. So I put back on the grill as steaks and cooked somemore.

I think you need a better thermometer, check temp at the thickest point of the roast.

[FONT=&quot]Beef, lamb, and veal* steaks, chops, roasts and duck breasts (USDA recommended minimum: 145°F or 63[/FONT][FONT=&quot]°[FONT=&quot]C)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Raw[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Less than 120°F (49°C)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bright purple-red center, cool, stringy, slightly juicy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rare[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]120-130°F (49-54°C)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Red center, warm, tender, juicy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Medium rare[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]130-135°F (54-57°C)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pink center, warm, firm, can be juicy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Medium[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]135-145°F (57-63°C)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tan center with some hints of pink, firm, not very juicy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Medium well[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]145-155°F (63-68°C)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tan center, firm to tough, little juice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Well done[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]more than 155°F (68°C)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tan to brown center, tough, little juice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Hey thanks for the post-script. Always good to know how new "experiments" come out. Glad you were able to finish it off on the grill. Try again. Looks good.

Back