Contests that allow contestants to sell BBQ

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have an organizer asking me to run down a few contacts on
contests that allow contestants to sell/vend their BBQ. Could you
guys send me a few?

Michigan - Auburn Hills, Lowell, Silver Lake, Sparta, UP Hog Wild. I'm doing them all this year.

There are many contests that allow it.

Harpoon (Vermot) allows all the teams to sell their comp BBQ. Great way for teams to recoup expenses

When we first started our event we would allow teams to sell to the public for about a four hour time period right after the comp. As Scottie said, it would allow the teams that wanted to do so, a chance to cover some of their costs. In many casses they sold items that were overflow from their comp work. THE PUBLIC LOVED IT. The health department worked with us, and we had to help set up each team under a license we purchased. That meant hot water for hand washing.... etc. As our event grew the teams could not keep up with the crowds, and the health department regulations were making us nuts.... OTHER VENDORS HATED IT. Now we like to use comp team / vendors like Ford who come in and do both. They are usually well equiped to meet the health department codes, to handle the food demands of the public, and to be professional in every aspect. :thumb:

When we first started our event we would allow teams to sell to the public for about a four hour time period right after the comp. As Scottie said, it would allow the teams that wanted to do so, a chance to cover some of their costs. In many casses they sold items that were overflow from their comp work. THE PUBLIC LOVED IT. The health department worked with us, and we had to help set up each team under a license we purchased. That meant hot water for hand washing.... etc. As our event grew the teams could not keep up with the crowds, and the health department regulations were making us nuts.... OTHER VENDORS HATED IT. Now we like to use comp team / vendors like Ford who come in and do both. They are usually well equiped to meet the health department codes, to handle the food demands of the public, and to be professional in every aspect. :thumb:

We have competed at Harpoon and you are responsible for obtaining your own temporary health department license and must pass the health department inspection. Harpoon does not take any responsibility for it.

Down here you can compete and sell your BBQ, no special requirements. At the Lakeland Pig Jam there is usually about 150 teams, and i would say about 50% of them are vending

Almost all of the FBA contests allow all the teams to sell as well as the Florida KCBS contests in Lakeland and Plant City.

Thanks guys. This'll give us some folks to talk to and see what worked, what
didn't, why, etc.

Back