Next

icemn62

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Week 1. did ribs ~ not good; Brisket ~ too dry
Week 2. did chicken ~ GREAT
Week 3. did ribs ~ 2nd try, using tips from here BEST I ever done, but not quite great.
Week 4. Did Fatties ~ GREAT; did Chuck Roast Good, got a lot of tips while cooking, {shocked myself when I tasted them.}

Figured the things that went right were due to Brethren knowledge :D , bad stuff my fault. :cry:

Thinking about what to do next. was reading a thread on ribs, and now I want ribs. figure I can try, no, DO the 3-2-1 method. depends on what I find in store to cook. Could always do chicken. Not yet ready to destroy another brisket.

Any ideas, on something simple, yet challanging. What are your plans for the upcoming weekend? :?:

icemn62 said:
Week 1. did ribs ~ not good; Brisket ~ too dry
Week 2. did chicken ~ GREAT
Week 3. did ribs ~ 2nd try, using tips from here BEST I ever done, but not quite great.
Week 4. Did Fatties ~ GREAT; did Chuck Roast Good, got a lot of tips while cooking, {shocked myself when I tasted them.}

Any ideas, on something simple, yet challanging. What are your plans for the upcoming weekend? :?:

Been there!
How about a Boston Butt? Great meat and hard to Fark up--even by me!
Add some variations of your "great list" from above.
Do them "3-2-1" ribs! Too die for! Just spray with Apple Juice and your favorite spices.liquers and go for it!
Try a different cut of chickie!
More Fatties. Lots more Fatties! Then, some more Fatties!
Throw some JAPS and some veggies in there at the end.

Play and have fun==
You "Be Hooked" Brother!!!!!!!
TIM

Dumb question time but what is a Jap? Family loved fatties so much, they are planning on filling the freezer with em. Made some on sat. had for breakfast on Sunday. They now want em for everyday.

Okay I decided I will smoke two whole chickens. I will give brining a try as well. Question, How long do I have to brine the birds? Do I need to do any 3-2-1 to em?

Brine chickens(whole or parts) for 3-8 hours. Turkeys for at least 24. I never did a 3-2-1 on abird.. just cook at 250 till the breast is 180 or the handshake test says its done.

I like to bring it to the almost done stage then bring it closer to the heat to get the skin to crisp up a little.

Couple of things when doing whole birds (chickens or turkey) if you dislocate the thigh joints before cooking that area seems to come up to temp easier. I would try protecting the breast from the heat as much as posible letting the hind quarters take the brunt of the heat. I want the thighs to reach 175 to 180º internal and try to keep the breast internal down closer to 160º.
Jim

jminion said:
Couple of things when doing whole birds (chickens or turkey) if you dislocate the thigh joints before cooking that area seems to come up to temp easier. I would try protecting the breast from the heat as much as posible letting the hind quarters take the brunt of the heat. I want the thighs to reach 175 to 180º internal and try to keep the breast internal down closer to 160º.
Jim

good points! In my 'dera, I have to rotate the chickens in a clockwise fashion also, (if I'm doing beer can chicken) because it seems one side will cook a little hotter than the other. i've had one thigh joint hitting 180* and the other side only at 160*. I don't want anyone getting sick 'cause of my cookin' so I make sure I'm ready 180* on both sides of the bird.

It's a longer cook, but I think you're ready for a Boston butt. Take to 160*, foil, and take to 195*. Spray her up several times throught the cooking process. A 6lb butt will take about 10 hours to cook, but remember it's done when it's done, by temp and not time.

If you want something faster, try some country style ribs.

thanks for the tips. my birds are in the brine for later today. I have 4 fatties on, some turkey links, a beef roast, and 1 slab of baby back ribs. My sone is now hoovering around the smoker waiting on 1 fatty to gt done. He loves them. I will post the results from this cook. I am spraying the meat with apple juice and vinegar solution to keep moist. then I will put on a real good spray, and wrap the roast and ribs. I may try it with the fatties, but I might have to give in to my son and make sure they are worth eating before he gets his hands on one. Can I claim Tase Test Mod

Brine

BBQchef33 said:
Brine chickens(whole or parts) for 3-8 hours. Turkeys for at least 24. I never did a 3-2-1 on abird.. just cook at 250 till the breast is 180 or the handshake test says its done.

I like to bring it to the almost done stage then bring it closer to the heat to get the skin to crisp up a little.
I did split chicken breast and wings, put them in the basic brine overnight. I took them out the brine and put them in a bag with italian dressing some chicken seasoning for two hours.Then smoked them for about six hours, sprayed with apple juice and every hour and brushed on BBQ sauce the last hour. I pulled the wings and wraped them at about five hours because they were looking done.I sent some wings and breast home for the grandkids and was afraid wraping them might make the skin rubbery. They called later and said that was my best chicken ever. Thanks for the advice Phil. :lol:

Just cut the ribs. Watched them disapear from the pan in no time. The links were great, they lasted longer than the ribs. Still waiting to wrap the roast, but it comes out like the fatties and everything else so far, then I can call this a sucess. I did my best to follow the ways of the Brethren and everything is working perfectly.My son's only complaint was not enough sauce on the ribs. Can't please everyone.

My son's only complaint was not enough sauce on the ribs. Can't please everyone.
Buy that boy a big (private) bottle of his favorite sauce and say "Thanks".

Sounds like things are going your way, and that is what it is all about!
Feels good? Right?
If that is "Yes" and "Yes" -- Ya be hooked! Just like the rest of us!
"Que On" the way you want!
TIM

Iceman,Next time you're looking for a new challenge, try a pork loin. Incredible eating and very easy. Link to method in Roadmap.

Final report. The roast was my best effort. I am more proud of it, than the ribs. It was juicy, cooked the way I like it. And best of all TASTE Farking great. The chicken, was good. The meat is so juicy, I have to keep explaining that YES IT IS COOKED ALL THE WAY!!!. I am sorry it is pink, but that is from the smoke. The taste is good/great. love the flavoring from the brine. But, my Roast is Kicking BIG time. Truth be told, it should be our roast, since I used everything I learned from here to cook it. Even the Mrs. has no complaints. I earned some POINTS with this one.

Icemn,
What kind of roast did you use? I want more details as I have been wanting to try one.

Back