Anyone have a good go to Soup Recipe??

DavidEHickey

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We are having a soup cook off at a private club I belong to. After bragging for weeks about beating everyone in our BBQ cook off I came in third place! : ( After such a humiliating placing I need something good to bring in for the Bengals Browns Soup cook off. Was thinking third eyes green chili, but it was mentioned that it couldn't be chili or stew. Anyone have any good soup recipes ? I know it aint BBQ but I figure one of the Brethren has probably got a winning recipe for me!
David

Well as a Browns fan I hope I'm not helping out a Bengals fan :lol: !

Just kidding - the Bengals will destroy this pitifull Browns team :cry:

My go to soup is a ham soup that we make with the ham bone from a honey baked or similar ham.

Use good chicken broth and slow cook the bone in the broth - add cubed pieces of ham, onions and some garlic - toward the end add fresh or frozen green peas and make a simple dumpling dough and float spoonfuls on top of the simmering soup so they will cook.

I have been making lately with ham hocks instead of the ham bone that I smoke first - awesome.

Tried noodles instead of the dumplings and it was ok but not as good.

I usually get a few pork shanks, smoke 'em, toss them in the crockpot covered with water and let them simmer on low for about 6-7 hours, long enough to loosen the meat from the bone. Then I pull the shanks and let them cool, and salvage the meat. (Do not through out the water.)

Then comes the magic! Found on you friendly grocer's shelf, 15 bean soup... Yeah, I know, it's kinda cheating, but it works for me and my boys love it...(use the water from the crockpot to cook the beans in, when the beans have about an hour left to cook re-introduce the meat and simmer till done...

One of my families favorites- I usually add a little more cayenne than it calls for.

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 2 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 3/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
DIRECTIONS

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in potatoes and broth, bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
  2. Puree potato mixture in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender; return to pot over medium heat. Stir in cream, cheese, dill, pepper, salt and cayenne. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, 5 minutes.
Maybe add some bacon on top- "Everythings better with bacon".

Last edited:
Here's one of my favorites.

SMOKY CHIPOTLE PUMPKIN SOUP

Serves 4 to 6

Pumpkin Puree

4 cups cheese or milk pumpkin
2 tablespoons olive oil

Peel pumpkin, remove seeds and cut into 1-inch cubes. Toss ion olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place on parchment –lined baking sheet. Bake at 400F in preheated oven until tender (about 40 min.)

Substitution: canned pumpkin puree (unsweetened) or butternut squash

Soup
1 medium onion
2 shallots
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chipotle pepper paste
2 stalks celery
1 carrot
1 tablespoon parsley
1 quart chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 cup amber beer
1 ½ cups pumpkin puree
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco

Garnish
1 tablespoon pumpkin oil
4 tablespoons crème fraiche
4 tablespoons pepitas

Peel and dice onion into ½ inch pieces.
Peel and slice shallots.
Saute’ onion and shallots in olive oil until translucent and beginning to caramelize.
Stir in chipotle pepper paste.
Slice celery.
Peel and slice carrot.
Wash and dice parsley.
Add celery, carrot, parsley, stock and beer to form soup base.
Bring back to simmer.
Whisk in pumpkin puree, cinnamon and chipotle Tabasco sauce.
Cook over low-medium heat for about 20 minutes, pureeing with an immersion blender.
Taste and season with salt and pepper, and more chipotle pepper paste if desired.
To serve, add a drizzle of pumpkin oil, a spoonful of crème fraiche and sprinkle pepitas on each bowl.

[For Apple-Pumpkin soup, add apples and replace vegetable or chicken stock with apple cider.]

As soup LOVERS in my family, we made about 10-15 pots of this last year. I think it should do the trick.

Here's the recipe and some photos: http://www.recipezaar.com/Italian-Sausage-and-Tortellini-Soup-210632

Obviously, its all in the sausage. If you store it in the fridge, you may find that you want to add some extra broth in a day or two. Mix up some beef broth and add it in, it tastes the same as the day it came off the stove. I would bring some extra broth with you to the club JIC. Additionally, you can cook up some hot sausage and add it to the bowls of those spice lovers (like me :-D).

My wife and I got inspired one day and tried to mimic a local restaurant's corn and crab chowder.

Basicly:
Start with creamed corn. Add some crab meat (lump, claw, cheap, whatever), and some hot peppers.

That's the base, from there go whichever way you'd like. I typically will do some bacon, crumble it, and do some garlic and sweet onions in the grease before I add the creamed corn. I like to add some corn from the cob too, you could even grill that.

To pull ahead for the win in the contest though do some homemade cornbread, or better yet, beer bread. The sweetness in the bread will cut the heat and goes better than a sourdough. Use a local brew, something like a stout, and use whole wheat flour with brown sugar. You should get a really dark bread (think pumpernickel) but a sweet taste. Hit the top with some melted butter as you pull it from the oven.

A favorite on another forum I visit.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 LBS LEAN GROUND BEEF
  • 1 FRESH WHITE ONION
  • 1 CAN DICED ROTEL
  • 2 CANS DICED TOMATOS
  • 1 CAN WHOLE KERNEL CORN (Drained)
  • 2 CANS PINTO BEANS
  • 1 CAN RANCH STYLE BEANS WITH JALAPENOS
  • 1 PKG TACO SEASONING
  • 1 PKG RANCH DRESSING MIX
  • 1 "CLUMP" FRESH CILANTRO (OPTIONAL)
DIRECTIONS:
  • Chop the onion.
  • If you'll be using cilantro, chop it very finely.
  • Brown the ground beef with the diced onion in a large soup pot.
  • Stir in the taco seasoning and the ranch dressing mix until the meat is evenly coated.
  • Pour in all the canned items, continuing to stir and heat.
  • If you're using cilantro, put that in last after all the canned items.
  • Heat the soup until hot. If you have the time, simmering makes it better.
Variations and Serving Suggestions:

For those who like it spicier, you can “turn up the heat" by substituting more Diced Rotel for one or both cans of the Diced Tomatos, substituting more Ranch Style Beans with Jalapenos for one or both cans of the Pinto Beans, and/or substituting HOT Taco Seasoning for the regular kind.

I like a thick soup and so I drain the water off the corn and leave the lid off the pot to let some of the water evaporate during heating. If you like a thinner soup, you don't have to drain the corn and you can keep the lid on the pot. For my tastes, the leaner the ground beef, the better. If you use ground beef that is not lean, you’ll probably want to drain off the grease after you brown it and before you add the other ingredients. For a wild game version, you can use ground venison or ground wild pork instead of the lean ground beef.

The soup is good poured over Fritos corn chips or crumbled tortilla chips. Try sprinkling grated cheese over the top and letting it melt in with the soup.

This makes, I'd say, about eight good servings. The original recipe didn't include cilantro, but I found that it really adds flavor and highly recommend it! The soup is actually quite a bit better when reheated the second day. So make a big pot and enjoy the leftovers!

A favorite in my Family and friends I have served it to love it, My mother passed this on to me, A Wartime soup that they used to eat a lot of in Germany, Just not the amount of meat we put in it today. The important seasoning is Ground Savory, Most Mkts Carry it, it is a Gourmet Seasoning. To make a larger amout just double the ingredients, but watch the amount of Bouillon, you don't want to overpower the flavor...

German Beef & Bean Stew

1 Lb lean Ground Beef
1 Lg onion Chopped
5 Potatoes Cubed small
1 bag Frozen Green Beans or Fresh
Sm Bag of Carrot Sticks, chopped
5-6 Cubes Beef Bouillon
1 tsb sea salt
1/2 tsb ground pepper
1/2 tsb Garlic Powder
1 tbls Ground Savory (must have)

In a Lg Stockpot cook ground beef till
no longer pink. Drain Grease. add
1 Gal water and rest of Ingreidents.
let simmer for 2 hours, add water if needed.
thicken broth with Corn starch.
Serve with Maggi Liquid seasoning and
Fresh Bread.

my wife and i love this recipe, I use garlic and cheese Italian sausage, and omit the garlic in the recipe.

It's from cooks .com.
Enjoy!!

ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP
1 1/2 c. onions, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 c. celery, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 c. canned Italian tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped or squeezed through fingers
1 c. tomato puree
6 c. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
2 bay leaves
1/8 tsp. thyme
1/2 c. parsley, chopped
3 tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 lbs. Italian sausage, sauteed and drained
1 c. sm. pasta
Saute celery, onion and garlic until just barely tender in oil. Add tomatoes, puree and cooked sausage. Cook 10 minutes. Add broth, oregano, basil, bay leaves, thyme, parsley and sugar. Simmer 30 minutes. Add pasta and cook just until done. Serve with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings. NOTE: Quantities of sausage or pasta may be

Sweet Potato and Hominy Stew
Prep: 30 min.
Cook: 25 min.

Ingredients
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 14-oz. cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped ( 5 cups)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 14.5- to 15.5- oz. golden hominy, rinsed and drained
1 large red sweet pepper, coarsely chopped
1 18-oz. tub refrigerated barbecue sauce with shredded pork
Cilantro
Lime wedges
Cumin Polenta (optional) (recipe below)
Directions
1. In saucepan or Dutch oven cook garlic and onion in hot oil until tender. Stir in broth and water; add sweet potatoes, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon, and cumin. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Stir in hominy, red pepper, and shredded pork. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until heated through.
2. Serve with cilantro, lime wedges, and Cumin Polenta. Makes 8 servings.
Cumin Polenta: In large heavy saucepan combine 2, 14-oz. cans reduced-sodium chicken broth and 2 teaspoons ground cumin; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; gradually whisk in 1 cup yellow cornmeal. Cook and stir until thick, about 6 to 8 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 cup whole milk and 1 tablespoon butter. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts
Total Fat (g) 5,
Saturated Fat (g) 1,
Cholesterol (mg) 17,
Sodium (mg) 994,
Carbohydrate (g) 41,
Fiber (g) 5,
Protein (g) 11,
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Here's my contribution: Cheater French Onion Soup

FrenchOnionSoup1_3.jpg

John