Fixed water pan vs slide out?

Zekesbbq

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi I am in the process of trying to buy a new cabinet smoker (WOW overwhelming!) and I am curious as to users/owners of cabs with slide out water pans vs fixed ones with drains? I really like the design of the fixed with the ball valve drain and being able to fill from outside but reading from users they can be a PITA to clean after. This brings me to slide out pans (Humphreys mainly) seem very simple to clean besides opening the door to re fill. My main question is users with fixed and drains are they a real pain to take care of? I am on the fence between LSG and Humpreys at this point. I am only 2.5 hours from Humphreys so that's a plus but really like some LSG features as well. Any other pros vs cons on either one? Any input would be great! TIA

Based on my experience with my BW Chubby, which has a slide out, I'd stick with a slide out - mainly for cleaning, but also that little farker is actually a pretty dang good direct grill when you take out the water pan and heat deflector. I have no idea if that would apply to other models and types of cabinets, but I was pleasantly surprised at how this one worked as a grill. In general I'm a fan of flexibility and I'd prefer to have open options.

Line the fixed pan with foil and cleanup is easy. I have the LSG large vertical, it's an amazing machine. I researched the heck out of them all before I purchased.

Thanks RacrX i have been beating myself up on the decision of which to get! I really am on the verge of getting the LSG! I have yet to hear back from them about questions I had including shipping. That might be the true decision maker once i hear back, could be pricey to NH!

You don't have to use water. You could also put water in a pan on the bottom rack.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I line the water pan in my Backwoods G2 Chubby with a full sized, foil hotel pan. Makes cleanup much easier and lasts for many, many cooks. I found it to be better than foil because it won't leak and it doesn't have to be completely empty to avoid the mess.

I have a humphreys side out and really like it. I use disposable foil pans. The nice thing is that clean-up is really fast and after a long time cooking that is a great thing.

Was in the exact same position trying to decide between vertical smokers and narrowed it down to those two; the Humphreys or Lone Star Grillz and after countless (literally) hours of research, decided upon the LSG and ordered one on 11/3/17. A few details steered me: 11 gauge, 3 hinges, water fill feature (although I don't usually use H2O), seam welds, 2" insulation, shipping was less expensive & probably as important as anything, the builders/ owners are superb to work with. There is also a little 150 page thread located with the Brethren titled "Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker - For new owners" that is a plethora of information. Whichever one you end up purchasing, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Cleaning is no fun no matter if it is fixed or not. I have a fixed pan and it rarely sees water during cooks. It works great and it sucks to clean, but that's just part of it. Prep, cook, clean.

If it were me, clean up wouldn't be a determining factor because it is never fun no matter how you slice it.

I've had both, a drop in battle box that was a great cooker, sold it to get a little more capacity. I now have a pint by Humphreys with the slide out pan. I prefer the slide out, it's much easier to clean up. Both cook very good Q.

I prefer the drop-in pan in my Humphrey's Down East Beast. I do however use a drip pan below the last shelf of meat to catch all of the drippings, so there has never been anything to do to clean the water pan, other than a quick rinse with the hose.

Thanks for all the replies! I am leaning towards the lsg at the moment due to some of their standard details, features and countless good reviews I read. Viticulture did you order the mini or the larger cab? Im on the verdge of ordering the large with a cart.

I have yet to use water in my Lone Star Mini for a cook.
I started learning to cook on it without using water, and I'm plenty satisfied
with everything I've cooked on it so far.

I went with the LSG "Mini" as I'm just a backyard smoke guy for myself and wife. Only on occasion do I cook more than a few items so the mini is going to work out well for me. I did not go for the cart but did get the side table, upgraded wheels, diverter plate and handle. They were 8 weeks out when I ordered earlier this month.

I've got a Backwoods Gater. I HATE that the waterpan is not a slide out.

I have a humphreys side out and really like it. I use disposable foil pans. The nice thing is that clean-up is really fast and after a long time cooking that is a great thing.

This is what I do with my Battle Box. Depending on the mess, I get a few uses out of the aluminum pan before pitching it.

Just remember that if you get a slide in, you will lose some cooking space.

Humphrey's

I too like the slide out water pan. But did you know that Humphrey's also has an option to do a permanent welded in water pan with drain system using a ball valve. Just shoot me a message and let me know if you have any questions about this system.

My water pan is a drop in. I fill it with playground sand, then I put foil over it. After the cook, I remove the foil with the drippings and get rid of it. More room in the smoker and less mess to clean. The Pint I have does not require water at all. Everything comes out moist and juicy. I use it like this all the time including comps!!! The sand acts as a heat sink.

Back