Temp of meat before Vac Sealing?

Goin Que Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Is there a certain temp a cut of cooked meat has to be before vac sealing? i.e room temp, right off the smoker say above 120, I'd be interested in hearing temps for the different cuts or if a different cut even matters. This will be frozen for later and all for the family not catering.

Ribs, Shoulder and Brisket.

Thanks in advance for the advice

John

The colder, the better. You are sealing the temperature in the bag. Never seal hot meat unless you want rotten food. Todd and I sealed over 200 lbs. of pulled pork in June. He made an ice water bath in a cooler to chill the bags of meat before sealing. Worked great!

The colder, the better. You are sealing the temperature in the bag. Never seal hot meat unless you want rotten food. Todd and I sealed over 200 lbs. of pulled pork in June. He made an ice water bath in a cooler to chill the bags of meat before sealing. Worked great!

Thanks, so an ice bath it will be!

John

Agreed. You must get the meat below 40* within 6 hrs to be practicing safe food handling. I get mine to about 60 before sealing and refrigerate immediately.

That was 365 lbs. The ice bath cooled 190 degree meat to around 40 in mere minutes.

Cool to a temperature where you can Handle the product, bag and seal, put bags in a ice bath. the faster you cool the meat the better the Quality and food safety compliance.We do 6 to 10 cases of butts and chickens a week, Quality is very good.

Last edited:
Just "warm" or "cool". Partial freeze on pulled pork or anything with sauce on it so I don't suck the juice into the machine.

Silly question...Why wouldn't you vac pack it warm (read-not HOT), and then ice bath it? As the meat/food product cools, I would think it will create a better vacuum in the package. Fill a water bottle with hot water, empty it, cap it and see what happens. Just a thought.

Silly question...Why wouldn't you vac pack it warm (read-not HOT), and then ice bath it? As the meat/food product cools, I would think it will create a better vacuum in the package. Fill a water bottle with hot water, empty it, cap it and see what happens. Just a thought.
a pound or two of pork loosely packed in a ziplock bag will have far more surface available for cooling than it compressed under vacuum. I don't know if the difference would be significant in an icy water bath. On a more practical note I find it difficult to vac pack hot juicy meat. Even uncooked meat from the fridge is sometimes difficult for me.

Don't ask me why, but vac sealing before you cool will produce a sour taste.

If you don't want stuff growing in the package, fully cool first in bags then transfer to vac bags and vac pak. HD is very picky about vac pak and will not approve anything but a commercial vac pak machine and you have to keep temp control logs.

Yes please cool it to below 40 degrees before sealing it, as any food safe will tell you never wrap warm and then refridgerate, from experience it will sour:sick:

Back