My first gasser, the big easy

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Before this ninja smoked he grilled. Always with wood or charcoal. I've never owned a grill that used gas, and have only cooked on them a dozen or so times. I couldn't resist the big easy for $25 courtesy of Craigslist.

I'm about to do a chicken with it. Any tips on the best way to use it? I was thinking a foil pack with chips near burner for some smoke.

How do yall like yours and what do you cook on it?

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
ps I see your shadow. I did not know ninja's had a shadow. :becky:

:doh: I broke the first rule of the ninja code, never leave a trace:doh:

You have one? Any tricks? Special prep?

Seasoned the bird with Tony Chachere's creole season and about to drop her in there.

The chicken king says it'll cook more even and faster then kettle cooking. It'll be crisper but won't have the outdoor grilled flavor...just a trade off. I bet you'll like it, if not for just a change of pace.

Seasoned up. I usually do a light coat of oil first but this is my baseline test therefore I kept it super simple.

I just dropped my chicken, oh no.

help please

Can a big easy owner help. Not sure it cooking right. Seams weak. 30 min in and it's cooking but not like the u tube videos I just watched. Can anyone tell me or show me a pic of the burner on? When I peeked at it flame looked smaller than I thought it should be. I'm not hearing any sizzle

Thanksgiving will never be the same. It will not replace smoked or fried turkey, but it's so easy and frees up the kitchen that it is irresistible.

A couple of these baskets are indispensable, cook potatoes or a couple of chickens at the same time. http://www.charbroil.com/grilling-s...s/easy-out-cooking-rack-for-the-big-easy.html

Prime rib cooks well also. Wrap the cable from your thermometer probe in foil where it is inside the cooker, it gets mega hot.

You are going to enjoy it, that was a killer deal.

"Let's all just calm down and smoke a fatty"

Take your own advice! When you look through the holes on top, the flames are only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall. Are you using a thermometer?

"Let's all just calm down and smoke a fatty"

Take your own advice! When you look through the holes on top, the flames are only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall. Are you using a thermometer?

I don't think they are that large. I think the temp maxed or at 340.

Gratuitous cat pron

Seems to be hotter higher up in the cooker. Put the lid on to brown the skin, but watch as it happens quickly.

Good looking puss. Looks like he/she really can appreciate well cooked chicken.

Not hot enough. This yard bird was almost 8 lbs. It's been 2 hrs and is almost done. I may not be the chicken king but I know that means I'm average 325-350. I suspect this thing cooks closer to 400+. Maybe I can clean the burners, help frome the gas ninjas?

I've played with one of those for turkey's works great!! not as fast as a fyring one but loved the results.

Clint

You can raise the basket in the cooker 2"-3" with one of these: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Daddios-Anodized-Cheesecake-Removable/dp/B0012Q32K6/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1398641257&sr=1-3&keywords=cheesecake+pans+with+removable+bottoms"]Amazon.com: Fat Daddio's Anodized Aluminum Round Cheesecake Pan with Removable Bottom, 9 Inch x 3 Inch: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NE8Pzc57L.@@AMEPARAM@@41NE8Pzc57L[/ame]

I'd recommend the 2" one... I sometimes put wood pellets outside the ring... they smolder but don't burn... The ashes mix with the charred drippings and, after a few months, create and adhesive envied by NASA. :-D

The payoff . I'm no chicken king, barely a poultry prince.

Same as regular 350* chicken. I need to figure out what's wrong here. Oil or butter may have helped some. If all else fails I can bust out the drill.

The payoff . I'm no chicken king, barely a poultry prince.

Same as regular 350* chicken. I need to figure out what's wrong here. Oil or butter may have helped some. If all else fails I can bust out the drill.

Prince of poultry...:laugh: that's pretty good.

Drill holes in what?

Can a big easy owner help. Not sure it cooking right. Seams weak. 30 min in and it's cooking but not like the u tube videos I just watched. Can anyone tell me or show me a pic of the burner on? When I peeked at it flame looked smaller than I thought it should be. I'm not hearing any sizzle

Easy weedhopper, You too can achieve Big Easy Foo. Yes the Big Easy Master can help. :becky:

Seriously, here is the gig. This is what you have and how it cooks:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCmhrQapXI"]The Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer - YouTube[/ame]

The trick to these rigs are that they release the heat from the flame by cooking with infrared heat. That was hard for me to wrap my head around at first. Yes, they get hot but not really cooking hot. A small blue ring flame is all they use. It's for heating the SS wall of the cooker. They use very little fuel.

From looking at your pic's, it appears you have that bird setting on a beer can chicken rack or the like. You did right by putting the breast up but one thing I have found is that the bird has to be at least 1" off the bottom of the basket for even cooking.

TBE really does cook by temp, not time. I've done birds with an OAT from 20*F to 100*F. In other words, Summer and Winter. Wind is not a big factor due to the way the burner is enclosed and it also helps to keep it clean.

The mesh lid is a big deal. It's made to reflect IR heat back into the unit and control the amount of color on the skin and also helps during very windy conditions. It is a valuable tool.

How to tell when it's done to perfection:

Your rig may or may not have come with an analog thermometer. It was supplied with the original unit.

You have to have a thermometer placed in the deepest part of the breast not close to the bone. If it's accurate, pull the bird at 165*F.

That's all there is to it.

TBE is rated up to a 16 lb turkey. I've done many higher and lower. I have Cajun fried maybe over 1000 turkeys in peanut oil and will put the bird from TBE up against any for taste.

adgm7b.jpg

34pzwqx.jpg

2zspdnm.jpg

2prb71j.jpg

Good Luck! Don't sell this rig short.

Thanks Toast, I'll try raising the meat some next time. Maybe some oil or something to help brown. I watched those u tube vids and most if those farkers burned the bird so forget them. I know it cooks infrared but have you ever checked or can you check the temp inside the cooker? 340 seems low. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. The only thing I know for sure is I'll be eating poultry tomorrow.

Thanks Toast, I'll try raising the meat some next time. Maybe some oil or something to help brown. I watched those u tube vids and most if those farkers burned the bird so forget them. I know it cooks infrared but have you ever checked or can you check the temp inside the cooker? 340 seems low. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. The only thing I know for sure is I'll be eating poultry tomorrow.

Don't even pay attention to cooking chamber heat. It's all about the IT of the meat. Time is not a factor either. Proper use of the mesh lid for browning and the IT are all that matter. Took me awhile to get used to it too. On a 70*F day, a chicken may take around 45 mins to an hour and a 13 lb. turkey around 2 to 2hr 45 mins to hit proper IT.

Back