Ham

rowdycowboy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking to smoke some hams for christmas. Would like to know what are good size hams to smoke and a good place to buy them.

Smoke whatever size you need to feed the crowd. I've done hams from 8 lbs up to 20+ lbs and they come out great. If you need a bigger one and have access to Restaurant Depot, they have great hams.

I do mine at 325 and it takes about 20 minutes per pound to get a fully cooked ham up to 140+ degrees. I usually glaze near the end of the cook.

Hams

I make my own but prefer those in the 8-12 lb range. To me there better tasting. If I need more I cook more hams rather then cooking a larger one.

Do u usually just buy a reg. Ham or is there a certain type ham u get.

Not sure who your talking to. But if it's me I buy fresh pork and make it a ham. A lot of guys buy Hams at store. Now most are already smoked all are brined. So basically you just cook or you can add more smoke totally up to you. But I wouldn't rebrine a ham.

Check out Whiskey's posts. Very good I'm eating ham and eggs as I type.

Smoke whatever size you need to feed the crowd. I've done hams from 8 lbs up to 20+ lbs and they come out great. If you need a bigger one and have access to Restaurant Depot, they have great hams. You can also get smaller hams (I prefer the 'butt' portion) at your local grocery store.

I do mine at 325 and it takes about 20 minutes per pound to get a fully cooked ham up to 140+ degrees. I usually glaze near the end of the cook.

You trying to give away ALL of my secrets!?!?!?!?

Do u usually just buy a reg. Ham or is there a certain type ham u get.

I normally get mine at Rest. Depot and only because I'm going to be feeding the masses... My normal size is about 25 pounds (full ham). This 'City' ham is already fully cooked and ready to serve.

I like to dice the fatcap once any skin that is found has been removed and then spike it with whole cloves.

Smoke at 300-325* for about 20 minutes a pound. Since it's already fully cooked, 140-150* is completely safe for serving.

Once the temps start getting close, I glaze with a mixture of Brown sugar, maple syrup, a touch of cayenne, and some Jack Daniels.

Remember to let it rest for a bit (usually about 30-45 minutes and then slice away.

Back