I need help from the Chicago guys

drbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
There was an article in the Sunday Sun-Times yesterday about me and my new book but I never got a copy on Saturday and yesterday at about 10 places they were sold out by the time I got there. I heard there was a section about the new pres and that could be why it sold out. I don't care about the rest of the paper but would really like a copy or two of the section with the article the book.

Anybody got one? PM me if you do.
And thanks in advance.

My parents get the Sun Times every week. I'll call them in a bit to see if they still have it. I'll let you know.

It was great to see you at Carmichael's on Saturday.

Well... My parents couldn't find one anywhere yesterday. I'll keep an eye out around here and check with the neighbors.

Hey Doc.....is this it? If so, here's the link to it:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1268787,dr-bbq-barbecue-bears-tailgate-110908.article

----------------------------------------------------------

Fine dining in a parking lot

DR. BBQ | It's rare among Soldier Field tailgaters -- but NFL cookbook could help

Recommend (2)

Comments

November 9, 2008
BY MAUDLYNE IHEJIRIKA Staff Reporter/mihejirika@suntimes.com
"Hey Dr. Barbecue!"
Mike Koppel, 42, of Lake View, yelled at the white-bearded man walking through a Soldier Field parking lot -- a spitting image of Kentucky Fried Chicken's colonel.
It was nationally renowned chef and author Dr. BBQ all right, revered by foodies for his prowess on the grill.
On this day, Dr. BBQ, whose credentials include executive chef of Justin Timberlake's Manhattan eatery, was prowling the outer reaches of Chicago's tailgate heaven, critiquing the food fare of unsuspecting fans engaged in prerequisite partying before the Chicago Bears wrestled the Detroit Lions.
It was part of the National Football League's promotion of its recently published tailgating tome, The NFL Gameday Cookbook.
Penned for the league by Dr. BBQ, aka former Chicagoan Ray Lampe, the book purports to provide the perfect pre-game menus for fans in each NFL market. In the parking lot, Lampe was on a stealth mission to see how Bears fans stacked up.
"I truly get tired of seeing all these burgers and brats," he said, dismissing one boring spread after another enjoyed by clueless fans.
Koppel and his four-buddy gridiron crew -- just finishing a bloody mary throwdown competition -- had recognized him, however.
And luckily, Lampe, scanning their menu of flank steak marinated the night before in tequila and other secrets, served with pita bread, grill fried potatoes and onions and table-side guacamole, was impressed.
He gave the boys a thumbs up.
"Good citrus taste. Very creative," he said of their steak offering. "I like these guys. They're doing something different."
Now living in Lakeland, Fla., Lampe grew up in Berwyn. He was a trucker for 25 years who caught the barbecuing bug after entering the late Mike Royko's first annual Ribfest contest in 1982.
"My buddy Bruce called and said he'd signed us up. He didn't know how to cook a lick, but he was always up for a party, so I said, 'As long as we're going, we might as well try to cook some ribs,' " Lampe said.
They lost, but Lampe got hooked, entering competitions locally and nationally as he worked on perfecting his craft, eventually winning more than he lost. He quit the trucking business in 2000 and moved to Florida to cook barbecue for a living.
"It's a good life," he confessed.
What followed were three other cookbooks, barbecue cooking classes taught around the country and roles with Timberlake's Southern Hospitality restaurant and as national spokeschef for the Big Green Egg Grill and Smoker Co.
A Bears season ticket holder for almost all of the late Walter Payton's career, Lampe is a seasoned Soldier Field tailgater whose suggested NFL menus range from grilled avocado halves and catfish tacos with citrus salsa for Arizona Cardinals fans, to sweet potato bread with pecans and barbecued bologna sandwiches for Tennessee Titans fans.
For hometown parking lot warriors, the book's menu includes grilled sirloin steak with two-mushroom saute, zesty roasted garlic mashed potatoes and cupcakes with blue frosting and an orange C on top.
Let's just say there wasn't anything even remotely approaching that in the endless sea of grills and fold-out tables Lampe passed in Soldier Field's south parking lots.
But wait. Just as all hope seemed lost, there, in the east museum lot -- the $100-a-space lot -- was John Dillon, 41, of Lombard, on a grill systematically feeding a hungry herd, with wife Paula, 41, riding shotgun.
For breakfast, a French trapper sandwich, French toast with a little whiskey in the egg dunk, fried on the grill and wrapped around grilled andouille sausage. For lunch, John's special Texas-style chili -- no beans, please -- with a chopped potato, fresh cheese and jalapeno topping. For dessert, baked strawberry-filled croissants. And everything from the tablecloth to the plates and utensils bore the Bears' logo.
"Now that's serious tailgating," Lampe said, stopping to hang out.
The NFL Gameday Cookbook is available at www.NFLSHOP.com.

Thanks guys, I saw it online but was hoping to get a hard copy.

Great to see you as well Ron. You guys cooked up a storm! I hope you got to have some fun as well. It was really a great event.

Can I call you Colonel BBQ????
Great write up! We have the book and the Mac and Cheese soup is the bomb! Did it in a dutch oven over coals at the KC Bash and it was awesome.

Back