Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I know someone that has food allergies

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • What are food allergies? - Passing Out From Booze Doesn't Count

Votes: 17 31.5%

• Total voters
Does Lactose Intolerance count?

Oh and shrimp.

So you totally miss out on the shrimp flavored ice cream?

I was lactose intolerant until around 17. I hated it. If the school ran out of non-dairy creamer for my breakfast cereal I ended up with OJ and rice crispies. Yuck.

So you totally miss out on the shrimp flavored ice cream?

I was lactose intolerant until around 17. I hated it. If the school ran out of non-dairy creamer for my breakfast cereal I ended up with OJ and rice crispies. Yuck.

you outgrew it?

I was fine until about 22. I worked at a pizzeria, I thought they were using bad ingredients, everytime I ate pizza I would be in the bathroom wrecking the walls. I thought maybe it was just my stomache saying NO MORE PIZZA!!
But then the same thing happened when I ate ice cream.

A friend turned me on to Lactaid and lets just say I love pizza and ice cream. I stopped drinking milk though.

I did that for a while, but it went away one day. Count it one of God's blessings as up to that point it was so painful after eating anything with Milk products I would be in a pain that even a woman in PMS would have trouble identifying with.

Thanks for the input.

I thought I was the only crazy one.... allergic to pork... can you imagine that one? Just about all prepared food has pork in it.... OUCH ! ! !

It has taken me years to learn to ask and look before eating. And if in doubt, leave it alone.

In fact, I am so allergic/sensitive to it, that if just a utensil is used to turn a piece of pork, and then used to turn a non-pork product that I eat, WHAMMO........ I get a severe migraine in less than 30 minutes that will last sometimes for about a week..... no fun at all, and no medicine helps. Just suffer through it........

Imagine me, doing competitions, and cooking pork butts, and pork ribs. Just think about all the gloves I go through and how many times I was my hands, wrists, and arms. I use 2 cookers, 2 sets of utensils, 2 tables, well... 2 of everything..... I have to double pack.... Even the pork goes into it's own ice chests.

This is serious stuff everyone. And a LOT of people have allergies and just don't even realize what it is. Sometimes it is just minor reactions, that just go away after a short time period. Others are, well, more severe.

A great thought on your part Bob to check to see if any one had allergies. I am sure a LOT of people catering don't think about it, nor do they stop to think not to use the same utensils while cooking more than one type of meat. The same tools for everything.

Keep the info coming.

Bill

Thanks for the input.

I thought I was the only crazy one.... allergic to pork... can you imagine that one? Just about all prepared food has pork in it.... OUCH ! ! !

It has taken me years to learn to ask and look before eating. And if in doubt, leave it alone.

In fact, I am so allergic/sensitive to it, that if just a utensil is used to turn a piece of pork, and then used to turn a non-pork product that I eat, WHAMMO........ I get a severe migraine in less than 30 minutes that will last sometimes for about a week..... no fun at all, and no medicine helps. Just suffer through it........

Imagine me, doing competitions, and cooking pork butts, and pork ribs. Just think about all the gloves I go through and how many times I was my hands, wrists, and arms. I use 2 cookers, 2 sets of utensils, 2 tables, well... 2 of everything..... I have to double pack.... Even the pork goes into it's own ice chests.

As bad as nuts and shellfish are - that is the saddest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. WOW. The great thing is that you can get through it. You know how to deal with it and survive.

I'm definitely taking you off the bacon list then.:-D

I know you probably realize this already but generally migraines are caused by constrictions in the blood vessels in the brain. This usually affects different senses in the body, hence so many people have the tunnel, aversion to sound, bright lights, etc. Food related migraines are generally related to nitrates, but not 100% as is probably your case because then all of the other good foods would do it too. Like nuts, shell fish, coffee, chocolat, beer, whisky, whiskey, etc.

Year and years ago after a car accident I was in my Dr and I spent 6 or 7 months trying to figure out why I had constant migraines, sometimes to the point of being completely disabled for several hours. Including the harshest most depressing diet I've ever been on to eliminate the potential for the above type of reaction. Eventually we found the cause but more importantly in the mean time we found a strange little medicine that contained a really high dose(pot of coffee) of caffeine and a muscle relaxer. This would really knock me out but it got rid of them.

I'm not a Dr. or associated with one, but I unfortunately I have had my fair share of medical related troubles in or around my life.

I'm definitely taking you off the bacon list then.:-D

I know you probably realize this already but generally migraines are caused by constrictions in the blood vessels in the brain. This usually affects different senses in the body, hence so many people have the tunnel, aversion to sound, bright lights, etc. Food related migraines are generally related to nitrates, but not 100% as is probably your case because then all of the other good foods would do it too. Like nuts, shell fish, coffee, chocolat, beer, whisky, whiskey, etc.

Thanks for taking me off your bacon list....

And the funny part.... my blood pressure is normal even with a full blown migraine.... it is the same before, during and after one.... go figure...

I can eat the nuts, shell fish, coffee, chocolate, with no problem.... I am a chocolholic btw.... don't do the alcohol bit. Coffee, only Columbian Supremo.... in other words, hi octane caffeine.

So far it is only pork.... and I can tell you real quick if anything has pork in it, or was in anyway near the good stuff I can eat. So, we don't go out to eat much, as you would be surprised at the neglect in food handling. Cross contamination. Even where I work at the cafeteria. I saw what was going on, and walked out. I take my own lunch now.

They deep fry all their breakfast meat, then deep fry the county style hash browns in the same oil...... cook the eggs on the same griddle they warm up country ham on, and use the same utensils.

I have learned to deal with it, and I am a survivor.....

Bill

Great post for us that have never been exposed to the complications that many people have to endure in their day to day lives. Thanks Bob for your knowledge ( some self learned ) and sharing. WHAT A GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD I HAVE FOUND!!!

DATA BANK OF KNOWLEDGE AND COMMON SENSE!!!

Had to go to the doctor's the other day....

No more coffee, chocolate, tomatoes, spicy foods, fatty foods, etc.....in other words, nothing that is good.

I am on medicine for 30 days. Then go back to see if I am better. If not, they will schedule a visit to have the scope down the throat to see how bad it is. Hiatal hernia......and a sinus infection to boot.

Well, I have to have my coffee, I can cut back some on my eats, but I will not cut out my Q......

I will see how the meds do, and go from there. From what I read on Mayo Clinics website, I am not in the minor stage....more like the advanced stage... so I am trying to get my mind set on possible surgery if the meds don't do it. Will see.

This could be worse than allergic to pork....:eek:

Had to go to the doctor's the other day....

No more coffee, chocolate, tomatoes, spicy foods, fatty foods, etc.....in other words, nothing that is good.

I am on medicine for 30 days. Then go back to see if I am better. If not, they will schedule a visit to have the scope down the throat to see how bad it is. Hiatal hernia......and a sinus infection to boot.

Well, I have to have my coffee, I can cut back some on my eats, but I will not cut out my Q......

I will see how the meds do, and go from there. From what I read on Mayo Clinics website, I am not in the minor stage....more like the advanced stage... so I am trying to get my mind set on possible surgery if the meds don't do it. Will see.

This could be worse than allergic to pork....:eek:

What escalated this? Reflux?
My migraine diet was - nothing with any kind of nitrates. That means no chocolate, coffee, soda, canned food, pizza, pork, beef, margarine(which I think is evil), nuts, prepared food, etc. I lost over 30# in one month that way. It was pure hell. Though my cardio got a lot better which improved other things that my Mrs didn't seem to mind.....

Scope down the throat isn't that bad. A lot of times they give you versed(sp?). it's the other end you'll dread...

Good luck. You'll pull through this like it was a walk in the park.

I am sure I will make it... just will take some time.

It is a very uncomfortable nagging pain that I am living with right now. Maybe that is why I have been so "crabby" lately. Almost as bad as PMS.... :eek:

So if I sound a little harsh at times, just over look it for now.

If I can survive the appendix problems I had, the gall bladder problems, the allergy to pork, I can survive this one too.

Anyone else?

I'm fortunate enought not to have any severe food allergies, but I do have a couple I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced. I used to love eggs cooked over easy, but found in my late twenties that they began causing my throat to burn and constrict, so I now only eat them cooked "hard" so there's nothing runny. I wonder if it's hormones or additives now used in poultry feed?

The other thing is a skin allergy. Whenever I handle uncooked poultry (chicken, turkey, doesn't seem to matter) it I don't wear gloves, within a few minutes my hands and wrists will begin to itch like crazy, it's totally maddening! Easy enough to get around with the gloves, but just wondered if anyone else has the same experience
Dan

I'm fortunate enought not to have any severe food allergies, but I do have a couple I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced. I used to love eggs cooked over easy, but found in my late twenties that they began causing my throat to burn and constrict, so I now only eat them cooked "hard" so there's nothing runny. I wonder if it's hormones or additives now used in poultry feed?

The other thing is a skin allergy. Whenever I handle uncooked poultry (chicken, turkey, doesn't seem to matter) it I don't wear gloves, within a few minutes my hands and wrists will begin to itch like crazy, it's totally maddening! Easy enough to get around with the gloves, but just wondered if anyone else has the same experience
Dan

I work with a guy that has this very thing. Both my boys that have food allergies have the egg allergy as well. Chicken they are ok, but my wife is a freak about chicken juice of any kind so she doesn't let them anywhere near it. Your reaction to the runny eggs is exactly that - reaction to the protein in the eggs.

hey brother , check if you have eating any msg mono sodium gludamate its in alot of foods and comercial spices

Back