Need suggestions for making a prime rib

Oldyote

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been put in charge of making Prime Rib for Easter.

I've done this in the past but its been a couple of years.

I'm looking for suggestions for

Amount to buy (for 8 adults)
Rub to use
Cook Temps
Wood to use (if any and how much)

Anything I'm not thinking about?

I'd suggest about a 5 to 6 pound roast rubbed with nothing but salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook indirect at 325 F to 350 F until the internal temp reaches 135 F. Then let it rest for about 30 minutes. Basically, you want about 6 to 8 ounces for each adult.

I actually injected the last rib roast that I cooked with a mixture of low sodium beef broth, black pepper, and granulated garlic and it came out fantastic.

Good luck and post some pics.

6-8 oz? That's just an appetizer. ;)

Thinking about picking one up as they're on sale for $5.99/lb at meijer now.

6 to 8 pounder,bone out,8 to 10 pounder,bone in.Coat liberally with S&P,garlic,whatever seasonings/herbs you like.Cook it indirect at 250 until it reaches an internal temp of NO MORE than 125F.Rest it 30 mins or so,slice and serve.If some like theirs more done you can cut it into 2 pieces and take one to a higher I.T. Please don't ruin the whole loin for a few that know no better.As far as a sear,fuggetaboutit! It is a ribroast,not a steak.Good Luck!

internal temp of NO MORE than 125F.RPlease don't ruin the whole loin for a few that know no better.

Just who is it that "know no better?" If you like it almost raw, 125F internal will be good.

A 6 pound rib roast serves a lot of people and not everyone likes rare beef. At 135 F internal at the center, you can serve rare and medium rare.

I prefer to use regualr oak lump charcoal. Don't want the wood or chips to overpower the flavor of the meat.

If you like it almost raw, 125F internal will be good.

A 6 pound rib roast serves a lot of people and not everyone likes rare beef. At 135 F internal at the center, you can serve rare and medium rare.
WAY easier to throw a slab back on that to try to uncook it.I actually pull mine at 120,after the rest it is r/mr.135 to me is gettin on the overcooked side.Each his own.:wink: That's why I suggested cutting it into two hunks,cook one to the rarer point and the other one more for the people who prefer it more cooked.Did not mean to offend.

Last edited:
I like leftovers, so I'd figure at least a pound per person & probably more - makes great sammiches later. Simple is good, like Boshizzle, I'd keep it to salt, pepper & garlic - sea salt and fresh cracked black btw.

My favorite primes have been done at around 200, then blasted with high heat at the end for a crust - but that takes a long time and if you haven't done it before it will freak you out because it stays cold for a long time & any logical person will wonder if the roast will ever get done, and then gets up to temp in the last couple hours of cooking. You will have a uniform doneness all the way through with this method. Kinda like a big ole reverse sear. I'd pull it out a around 120 if doing the reverse sear and 125 if just resting it. It'll coast up a little to rare - which is how I like it. Sorry but off the top of my head I can't remember the timing involved - the good new is you can hold prime for awhile and I'm definitely not above adjusting cooking temps to the amount of time I have - it's never seemed to be a problem to ramp up during a cook.

Wood is a personal preference - I like hickory, and oak is great for beef. I'm sure pecan, cherry, etc. are just fine but I can't speak to that from personal experience. The amount is also a matter of personal preference, but too heavy smoke is less desirable than too light.

Another thing you can do is look up the "Standing Tall" prime rib recipe in the Smoke & Spice book - it involves marinating the prime rib in red wine/red wine vinegar overnight & I think there's a little rosemary in there somehere. It's a great recipe.

Absolutely allow it to rest for at least 30 minutes.

Good luck!

Yeah, "to each his own" is a far cry from those who "know no better."

I found the linked method on this forum http://www.kickassbbq.com/smokedprime.html. I've made some great roasts with it. I've played around with rubs, Simply Marvelous Pecan has been a good choice, though the EVOO, Garlic paste mentioned in the link is fantastic too. For wood, Hickory and Pecan are my favorites for everything but the lighter flavor of pecan may be best for this if I had to recommend a single choice.

Yeah, "to each his own" is a far cry from those who "know no better."
Sorry man,bad choice of words on my part.Like I said I really did not to be offensive.I have friends that refuse to eat it less than med well.Rarer is just my preference.Please accept my apologies.I'll try to word my comments more P.C. in the future.

i cook mine to 165*

EDIT.

that was a joke! i could feel the virtual bullets whizzing by my head!

If it's bone in I will cut the bones down about 3/4 of the way so I can season between the bones and the meat. Usually it's rub the roast with evoo then Todds Dirt and garlic powder then onto the charcoal rotisserie till 140 or so internal. Good luck post pics
Picture653.jpg

For me, prime rib is a minimalist exercise. Lots of salt and pepper, no fancy rub. I like to heavily S&P my rib roasts several days in advance. I put them in a pasta cooker in the frig so that any of the juices that come out then collect into the pot away from the meat.

I prefer the reverse method (200 deg first). I get the internal temp to around 120 deg before I pull it and rest. I can then plan when dinner will be served. About 1 1/2 hours before dinner, crank it to medium high. I use a grill with a good distance between the meat and the coals so that the flareups do not scorch the outside. That way I am putting a killer crust on the outside while the meat gets to around 125 deg internal. Smoky, juicy, and not over/under cooked anywhere on the roast.

I get standing ovations doing it this way. Also remember that any and all ribs that you cut off of the roast is STRICTLY the purview of the chef.

Back