What really ticks me off about Kansas City...

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK so all week last week, we saw ads for the American Royal BBQ on TV and heard them on the radio. Then you get live broadcasts from the Royal with reporters hanging out with the big crowds of drunken partiers and telling everyone within range of their signal how great the Royal is. Then... NOTHING! Two teams from the farking Kansas City area win both contests and I failed to see anyone reporting that. Nothing at all against non-KC teams but come on! These huge contests that featured outstanding competition from all over the United States and beyond goes off here in town and one team from Blue Springs and another from Lee's Summit win them all and no mention of that on the local news. But boy, those parties and smells coming from the West Bottoms sure were newsworthy... :roll:

I would have thought they'd be onhand with their cameras rolling at the awards. I just think it would have been nice to get a chance to let all of your families and friends see you on TV Saturday and Sunday nights.

I would have thought they'd be onhand with their cameras rolling at the awards. I just think it would have been nice to get a chance to let all of your families and friends see you on TV Saturday and Sunday nights.
Nah! You gotta wear a t-shirt like this, or something similar, to get that kind of coverage. :-D

basic_tshirt-p235350452966295632tdq8_525.jpg

John

Jeff you make a great point! The sad part is the MC for the awards was Brad Stevens on the CBS affiliate http://www.kctv5.com out of Kansas City. No knock on him personally I thought he did a great job, but the network he works for is pathetic! KC media step up and support the Royal and realize you have a contest in Kansas City that is the biggest in the world!

Just a crazy thought.... But maybe the Royal folks have burnt some bridges? Not that I could see that happening. But it is a possibility....

I know when the STL Cardinals win their next World Series this year that news reports will go on weeks after the last pitch has been made. You Make a great point..

That is B.S. !!!. what the hell ??? Local boys did great.. needs to be reported..

I got back to my Hotel room in time for the 10 o clock news Saturday night and I don't know what station I was watching but the did talk about the Royal and Did Mention that Pork Pullin Plowboys was the Grand Champion of the Invitational.

They probably should have done interviews of both terams that won.

Great Job Todd, I was going to stop and say Hi and congratulations but you were pretty busy.
Great job to you also Boondoggle.

I had a list of teams I wanted to meet and didn't get to as many as I wanted. Maybe next time.

I know when the STL Cardinals win their next World Series this year that news reports will go on weeks after the last pitch has been made. You Make a great point..

I like the way you think!:wink:

~Ryan (a die-hard Cardinals fan)

From looking at the KC Star it seemed the site was flush with other events. Between college football with K-State at Arrowhead, the Chiefs, Nascar and dare I mention the Royals, the Royal didnt get the attention it deserved.

At first from the thread title I was thinking this was going to be about the Chiefs (I'm so miffed), but you make a good point. I never heard anything. It was a very, very busy weekend in KC though, so it may have just got lost in all the other noise.

Is is perhaps that people just don't get it? What I mean is that I am wondering if people get an idea of the party side of things, but don't quite grasp what the competition is all about, and how big it is and it is getting. To a certain extent I have found that you really have to experience a bbq competition i.e. turn-ins, awards ceremony etc., to understand what it is all about and appreciate the grand-scale of the event. I have many family and friends who have been to competitions and many who have not. When I post on our website or Facebook how we did a given weekend, I always get an ethusiastic response from the family and friends who have been there, and a less than enthusiastic response if at all from those who have not. Could it be that something similar is happening from the editors and producers who decide what news they post through their media?

Or in reality guys. The fact of the matter is , we as cooks think it is bigger and more important than it really is. For the rest of the nation, it don't mean a thing. You get a lot of "Oh, that's nice." But no one outside of the freaks in the BBQ World get what it really means...

I've had a few years of experience with this and that is the reality of it all. :icon_blush:

While BBQ is huge in KC... Let's face it, it's about the party on Friday night. Do you really trhink that the masses are more turned in for the BBQ contest, NASCAR or college football? Most years, I would include the Chiefs in there, as I know that it's red Friday for the Royal.. But they stink worse than the Royals....

Is is perhaps that people just don't get it? What I mean is that I am wondering if people get an idea of the party side of things, but don't quite grasp what the competition is all about, and how big it is and it is getting. To a certain extent I have found that you really have to experience a bbq competition i.e. turn-ins, awards ceremony etc., to understand what it is all about and appreciate the grand-scale of the event. I have many family and friends who have been to competitions and many who have not. When I post on our website or Facebook how we did a given weekend, I always get an ethusiastic response from the family and friends who have been there, and a less than enthusiastic response if at all from those who have not. Could it be that something similar is happening from the editors and producers who decide what news they post through their media?

I think you hit the nail on the head. What kills me is there are SO MANY stories the news agencies can get from this great event. Its not only the fact that the GC and RGC from the Invitational and the Open but its the fact you have so many teams come from all over the country to compete at this great event. Why would anyone travel across the country to compete in any BBQ contest. They do it because its the American Royal.

The Royal did not become to Royal over night. They braged about how it is 30 years old this year. Why can't they help themselves and use the fact that there are so many TEAMS that come here to compete. I personally find it intersting how there are several teams from other states that qualify for the invitational, and have to reach out and ask others in the area if they have stuff they can borrow in order to compete. We are not just talking about chair and tables, we are talking about smokers, canopies etc they need just to cook. Sorry to rant and rave about this but the many of the friends and family members that came and hung out with us this weekend, when you start walking around and start telling them stories about this team and that team and how they got here and where they are from everyone could not believe it. Each team brings there own story to the Royal, and I think it would be nice if the local media would share some of these stories with rest of Kansas City. Just my 2 cents!

Jon

Friday night during the party there were several camera crews roaming about filming bits and pieces, and maybe they were around Saturday as well, and maybe they even did a few interviews with some teams, I don't know?
We judged the Open meat contest on Sunday and the film crew was also there filming as well. A guy introduced himself (and I forget his name) as a cook with the "Big Bob Gibson" team. He explained before the judging started that he was involved with producing a documentary of the sorts with The Learning Channel (TLC). He said that the show will give a closer view and understanding so the general public can see what we all go through and what it is all about. I believe he said they have footage from 4 or 5 other contests across the country with interviews and behind the scenes footage as well. I think that is pretty cool. He said the program is scheduled to air around Dec. 4th of this year. (didn't catch the name of the program).
They had a table picked out to film the majority of the judging process beforehand. After all judges were seated they pointed out which table was the TLC table. I missed it by one. I was one table off. Oh well, had fun! Congrats again to everyone who got a call last weekend!

Or in reality guys. The fact of the matter is , we as cooks think it is bigger and more important than it really is. For the rest of the nation, it don't mean a thing. You get a lot of "Oh, that's nice." But no one outside of the freaks in the BBQ World get what it really means...

I've had a few years of experience with this and that is the reality of it all. :icon_blush:

While BBQ is huge in KC... Let's face it, it's about the party on Friday night. Do you really trhink that the masses are more turned in for the BBQ contest, NASCAR or college football? Most years, I would include the Chiefs in there, as I know that it's red Friday for the Royal.. But they stink worse than the Royals....

Scottie speaks the truth. It is best suited for a Saturday morning fluff spot to sip your coffee to. That's what we are working on. I'm taking the lead, but am including Boondoggle once we get something with one of the four local news stations.

I think there is a very limited group that sees what happens, knows what happens, and cares what happens.........and that is why we are family.......

Back