Is 4 Boston Butts on a UDS pushing it???

C

charliesarmy

Notre Dame kicks of on Sept 6th and I am looking at doing some smoking on my UDS (My Irish may not give me much to root for but at least I will be eating nice)

I would like to Smoke 4 butts and then freeze any left over meats in the next couple of weeks. Is this pushing it?

One rack or 2? I have done it but count on extra time. I just gid 4 butts and 2 slabs of ribs on my 85 on 2 racks. I did 4 on one rach on 55. Lots of fat dripping. Have to make sure temp is up there and let meat set out at least one hour before you put it on.
IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3273.jpg

On a 55
IMG_1989.jpg

One rack or 2? I have done it but count on extra time. I just gid 4 butts and 2 slabs of ribs on my 85 on 2 racks. I did 4 on one rach on 55. Lots of fat dripping. Have to make sure temp is up there and let meat set out at least one hour before you put it on.

On a 55
IMG_1989.jpg

I love the inside of that pit! :icon_bigsmil

I'd agree, it's all a mater of time :smile:

Looks like it's gonna be some good eatin'!!

Four normal sized butts should not be a problem. My guess is that the butts will come out better than the Notre Dame football season.

Just be sure to load up the UDS with a full load of Charcoal. You should be fine, maybe a wiggle or 2 of the fire box during the cook. Plan to be done earlier than needed and cooler them for awhile..

Four normal sized butts should not be a problem. My guess is that the butts will come out better than the Notre Dame football season.

true, but things could not be as bad as last year!!!

It is going to be on one rack.... what is the purpose of letting them sit for an hour before putting them on?

I did 8 butts last year. That IS pushing it. Four should be good to go.

I think 4 will be fine especially after about 2 hours they will shrink a little and give the extra room. I agree that I'd pack it full of charcoal and make sure she's good and hot before I put them on.

I'm curious about letting them sit out an hour as well. Only thing I can think of is it allows the meat to warm up a little so it's not such a shock to the heat source when they go on.

It is going to be on one rack.... what is the purpose of letting them sit for an hour before putting them on?

What Rooster said!

You'll need a little more air than normal to start with all that mass but the drum will do you proud.
Lots of grease dripping so don't leave that lid off for to long!

I would think it's to have their temp come up a bit so you're not putting on 4 cold butts, will throw off the dynamics a bit more if they're straight from the fridge.

Back