Pizza Margherita Fresh From the Pizza Kettle

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Last night The Missus and I decided to make some pizza on my FrankenWeber Pizza Kettle. I wanted a change of pace, so I suggested a Pizza Margherita, as we've been doing quite a few meat pizzas of late.

Pizza Margherita is a simple tomato and basil pizza, with or without fresh garlic depending on where you get it. I opted for the fresh garlic.

I also didn't have time to make dough, so just pulled out a bag of Trader Joe's pizza dough from the freezer, which works more than adequately in a pinch. Actually, this stuff is really quite good if you let it sit at room temp for 20 mins in the bag, then pull it out of the bag, lightly flour it, and form it into a ten inch round and let it rest covered another 20 mins before you make your pie. This helps "relax" the dough and makes it very easy to hand stretch.

Ingredients assembled:

IMG_5746.jpg

Dough now fully relaxed, and ready to hand stretch:

IMG_5747.jpg

IMG_5748.jpg

Now time to sauce the pizza:

IMG_5750.jpg

Fully loaded with mozzarella, a sprinkle of parmesan, fresh garlic, oregano, and sliced roma tomatoes - I don't add the basil until after it cooks as I prefer the sweeter flavor profile of non cooked basil:

IMG_5753.jpg

Our puppy, Daisy, hoping for a handout:

IMG_5754.jpg

About 2 minutes into the cook:

IMG_5755.jpg

6 minutes later, the pie was perfect. We then topped with fresh basil, and sliced:

IMG_5766.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg

One of best pizzas yet! I was a little concerned about the garlic not cooking enough, but it was just fine. If someone had told me a few years ago I would be cranking out pizzas like this, I'd have a hard time believing them. I'm really glad I hung in there and persevered - it's been so worth it.

Very nice pizza Margherita!

Have you tried making it with fresh mozzarella? If not, try it. It is more authentic, and I think it tastes better.

CD

Lookin' good Moose. Now you have me wanting to fire up my cooker.

Very nice pizza Margherita!

Have you tried making it with fresh mozzarella? If not, try it. It is more authentic, and I think it tastes better.

CD

Funny you mention that - I was going to say something about that in my post, as I have yet to find GOOD fresh mozzarella. I haven't given up, as I'm sure I'll find a source for it, but so far, I've been quite disappointed, at least in comparison with what I've tasted at authentic Naples style pizzerias.

Funny you mention that - I was going to say something about that in my post, as I have yet to find GOOD fresh mozzarella. I haven't given up, as I'm sure I'll find a source for it, but so far, I've been quite disappointed, at least in comparison with what I've tasted at authentic Naples style pizzerias.

Wow, in California?

I get pretty decent stuff at Central Market here, but if I want the really good stuff, I can go to The Mozzarella Company downtown.

http://www.mozzco.com/

CD

How the heck do you guys get the pizza dough so round? Mine alway look like some sort of creature, and not even close to round. But they still taste good! :p

How the heck do you guys get the pizza dough so round? Mine alway look like some sort of creature, and not even close to round. But they still taste good! :p

I can relate - I had this problem quite often in the beginning. First, you need to start with good dough that has a decent hydration ratio. If the dough is too "dry", it will be hard to shape due to its lack of flexibility and "give".

Proofing the dough as I described really helps, a LOT. Forming into about a 10 inch evenly shaped disc and letting sit covered 20 minutes will make a big difference.

Finally, stretching by hand is the key. This can be intimidating at first, but what really helped me was to watch some youtube videos repeatedly of guys hand stretching pizza so I grew more comfortable with the process. After doing this, by my 3rd pie, I nailed it perfectly, and now it's second nature to me.

Here's one that helped a lot:

More Dough Stretching and Shaping with Jon F. from Pizza Therapy - YouTube

Nice work Moose! You always have great posts and that is one of the nicest pizzas I have ever seen.:clap2: I'll bet it was ridiculously good!

that looks too good to be true! what temp did you get the kettle up to and how did you lay out your coals?

Back