Brisket Question for Judges?

QDoc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Do you like the fat cap left on or cut off?

I personally like it off. I'm certainly not going to eat it and I don't want to have to mess with pulling off excess fat.

My $0.02

Russ

What he said , rksylves.

I do not think that having it on there adds anything to appearance.

I do not mind the thin layer of fat that covers the flat, but I dislike the seam of fat that separates the point from the flat. If you leave a thin fat cap on the meat, place it down in the box, so it isn't the first thing a judge sees for appearance.

I do not mind the thin layer of fat that covers the flat, but I dislike the seam of fat that separates the point from the flat. If you leave a thin fat cap on the meat, place it down in the box, so it isn't the first thing a judge sees for appearance.

I would agree because that is what I do and have had some success. The difference is that I usually leave the fat up. I may make the change to down.

The big thick glob of fat on a nice slice of brisky is kind of a turn off. If you can't see it during presentation it won't bother the score. If I have to tear it off to eat it, it may.
Ed

When I compete, I cook with it on then take it off before it goes into the box. I guess that means when I judge I prefer to see it that way, but I take each box on it's own merits. Great brisket with a thin line of fat left on beats good brisket with all the fat off, all day long.

I ain't a judge but I agree with mister Bob I leave just a thin line of fat. Fat is flavor.

As a CBJ I am to eat the meat and judge as it is presented, so that is what I will do, do I eat much warm brisket at a competition? No. Room temperature fat is nasty! But if a team presents the slice with fat on I have to eat it that way.

As a preference, I do not think the fat from a brisket is as flavorful as the fat from a Rib-Eye, so I would prefer just the beef.

As a CBJ I am to eat the meat and judge as it is presented .....I do not think the fat from a brisket is as flavorful as the fat from a Rib-Eye, so I would prefer just the beef.

That pretty much sums it up right there ^^^^^.

Left on, but do have to respectfully disagree with MM.

If you can't see it during presentation it won't bother the score.

100% disagree. Is it the same as having a bad injection mark that isn't visible on the first (and only) seen slice? Should it NOT "bother" the score? Not at all trying to call you out, and YES, I totally agree it should not "bother" the score..

Technically speaking, seeing the fat that separated the point/flat and/or a rogue injection should not cause judges to score down on taste/tenderness. IMHO, I 100% believe it will, even when it shouldn't.

If Judges (especially 2-6) see a large line of fat on the bottom and/or a rogue injection mark after scoring appearance, your day is done in the brisket category. Even if a judge is supposed to score on taste/tenderness, I believe that visual display affects the mind's palate of judges 2-6 after judge 1 has taken his sample.

Last edited:
There are no rules concerning what to do with the fat cap, but in my experience probably 90% or more of the entries I see are highly trimmed (fat off). Bear in mind that most judges are going to eat the entry as presented and some will eat around the fat and some will taste it if it is included. Most brisket arrives at the judging tables well cooled down and low-temperature fat can be a turn-off for many.

I would not score a fat-on slice of brisket down deliberately because the fat was left on but would evaluate the effect of the fat for each judging factor. However, why take the chance that a seam of tepid fat is going to turn off a judge -- trim it.

I like a small thin layer of fat just for flavors' sake...but not alot...I would just trim it just to be on the safe side...

What bentley said. OFF. Beef fat on brisket is NASTY even warm, so luke warm or cold, UGH.

A pic of a practice run:

20933_1343033137197_1272271852_30974782_1407438_n.jpg

Back